Monday, November 16, 2009

Scandalous (Finished)

CHRIS is a dorky teenager. On the first day of 11th grade, he meets Jonny, with whom he falls in love. Aww!
It's a slash fic!

---


First day of school. First day of eleventh grade, to be precise. I am sixteen years old, I am six feet tall (and still growing, my mum says), and I am scared. Afraid, really, of getting older. I'm an avid worrier, too, so I'm already going crackers over what I'm going to do with my life and how little time I have to decide. My mum tells me I'll be fine, but I don't believe her.

Walking through those doors again is quite an odd thing. On one hand, it feels like I've never left. Summer didn't really exist, did it? On the other hand, everything feels different. Certainly, we're all older now, and maybe even a tad bit more mature. Some people in different ways than others, if you catch my drift. Not me, of course. No one likes me enough.

As I walk down the hallway, trying to find my homeroom, I realise that I've gotten lost. You'd think that after going to the same school for two years, I'd know how to find my way to the classrooms. Alas, I'm an idiot and I somehow managed to end up on the complete opposite side of the building. So I ran, and ran like hell. It's something I'm quite good at doing, actually, so I luckily made it to the room just in time.

Unfortunately, there was only one seat open, and it was by the two people I hate most. Joe and Paul. They're the worst people ever. Absolute assholes. Nasty, disgusting, horrible, hateful creatures.

“Oh, look who it is!” Joe exclaimed as I took my seat. I tried to ignore him, but he wasn't having any of that.

“Is that who I think it is?” Paul asked, annoyingly playing along.

“Why, yes, Paul, it's our dear friend Chrissy! Tell me, Chrissy, how was your summer?”

“Piss off.”

“Aw, Chrissy! That's no way to treat your friends.”

“Yeah, Chrissy, you're making Joe and me sad with your meanness. Why are you so mean, Chrissy?”

“Cause you suck.”

“Oh. Oh,” Joe said. “That's just hurtful. Now you're going to have to... what was it, 'say you're so sorry that you hurt me, 'cause you just can't live without me'?” Tip number one: Don't let stupid people read your song lyrics.

“Yeah, that was it. Chrissy can't live without us.”

I turned my head in an attempt to ignore them again. I looked to my left, only to see that the seat next to me was occupied by a new face. He was looking over at me, petrified, but as soon as I turned he looked away.

“Hey, are you new here?” I asked him. Usually I'm rather shy, but I needed to escape the torture of Joe and Paul, and something about him made me a bit more outgoing.

“Me?” he asked, looking back at me.

“Yeah.”

“Yes, I'm new. We just moved here a few weeks ago.”

“Well, welcome to our 'lovely' school. I can assure you that not everyone is a jerk like these two,” I said, pointing to the uglies next to me. “For example, me. I'm Chris.”

“It's nice to meet you, Chris. I'm Jonny.”

-

Over the next month or so, Jonny and I became great friends. We hung out all the time, and within a few weeks we knew practically everything about each other. Jonny was an only child, he'd lived in eight different places due to his dad's work forcing them to move all over the country, and when he was six years old his favorite song was “Candy Girl”. That's practically Jonny in a nutshell.

It was a sunny day. A day that seemed ordinary, but it changed everything. Jonny and I were just chillin' in this field in the park after school, like we always did. We'd spend hours there everyday. Sometimes we'd stay there until it got dark, or even after. Once, my dad actually drove around looking for us, as it turned out we were there until nine o'clock.

But we couldn't help it. Time just seemed to fly by, and we both enjoyed each other's company. Whenever I was around Jonny, everything felt different. I was more confident, and more relaxed around him. He seemed to be more comfortable around me, as well. And no one could make me laugh like he could.

“Do you think we hang out too much?” he asked, plucking a few blades of grass out of the ground.

“No, why?”

“Iunno,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. “I mean, I don't think we do, either. Or maybe we do, but I don't care.”

“We're best friends, right?” I asked.

“Yeah, I'd say so,” he replied. “Well, you're really the only friend I have here, seeing as I'm relatively new still.”

“I've lived here my whole life and you're still the only friend I have.” He looked up and gave me a little smile.

“We don't need anyone else.”

“Come on,” I said, standing up and running towards the bleachers. I jumped up the first few steps and stopped to wait for Jonny. As soon as he reached the bottom, I continued climbing, but I only reached the fourth step before stopping again.

“You run too fast,” he complained, walking up next to me.

“Oh, boo. Look, ready?” I spread my arms out and shouted, “I'M KING OF THE WORLD!” but as I did so I accidentally smacked Jonny in the face. “Oh, sorry.”

“Ah, watch where you're swinging those things. Jesus!” He shoved my arm, but I'm weak and fragile, so he ended up pushing me back. I lost my footing and fell off the side of the bleachers. Not wanting Jonny to feel left out, I grabbed the sleeve of his jacket before I actually fell, so we both tumbled down to the ground.

“Oops!” I said as soon as we landed. Jonny had fallen on top of me, and our faces were inches apart. It was the first time I noticed how green his eyes were. They were quite magnificent. He quickly scurried off to my side, apologizing like mad.

“Oh my God, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you.”

“No, it's OK,” I said, sitting up.

“I didn't think you'd fall,” he muttered.

“I know. It's OK, Jonny. Things like this happen.” Jonny silently nodded and stared at the ground. I kept looking at him. I couldn't stop staring. And I couldn't stop thinking about how close we were, how nice his eyes were. “Besides, I managed to take you down with me, so it's all good.”

He laughed and looked up at me. With his lovely green eyes. That's when I realised that something other than friendship was starting.

-

Jonny and I were on our way to the lunchroom. It was a routine thing, but that day there was some sort of block in the hallway, so we had to walk the long way. And of course, the world doesn't work in a way where we would make it to the lunchroom without being disturbed by some freak lunatics.

“Oh, oh, it's Chrissy! And...” I turned around to see none other than the uglies walking towards us. “... what's his name?”

“Um... Bucklin, or something.”

“Buck... Bucky, yeah! Chrissy and Bucky! How are you ladies doing?” Joe asked as he and Paul stopped in front of us. I gave him the nastiest look I could, then grabbed Jonny and kept walking.

“Joe, what're they doing? They're walking away from us!”

“Chrissy!”

“Bucky! Come on!”

“Eh, let's leave 'em Paul. Chrissy and Bucky need their alone time.”

“Oh, yeah, I forgot,” Paul laughed. Even though they were joking, I couldn't help but feel a bit nervous. There was no way they could have known about how I felt... right?

We made our way into the cafeteria, through the line, and down to one of the tables. I didn't feel much like eating, even though I'd only gotten a salad, so I just watched Jonny as he ate. I found that quite often when I had nothing to do, I'd just sit and look at Jonny. He was nice to look at.

Halfway through lunch, I decided that I couldn't hold it in any longer. I needed to tell Jonny how I felt about him. I looked around to make sure that no one could hear. Part of me had hoped there'd be someone extremely close so I'd have an excuse not to talk, but there was no one.

“Jonny, remember that one time I told you that you should do an advice column or something?” I asked. He looked up at me, swallowed whatever food he was eating, and nodded.

“Yeah.”

“Well, you still should. And you can practice by giving me some advice... right now.”

“Um, fine. But I'm not going to do a column.”

“No, you should. Anyway, here's what I need advice on: so, you know how sometimes you like people, right?”

“Uh huh.”

“OK, well... have you ever liked someone that you know you shouldn't, because it might be a bit... wrong?”

“Hmm... is it Joe's girlfriend?”

“No, it's...”

“Paul's girlfriend?”

“No, it's...” I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. “...not a girl.”

“Oh?”

“It's you, Jonny.”

“Oh.” I opened my eyes again to see that he was looking down at his food. I was kinda afraid of that.

“This is where you give me advice.”

“I don't know what to say, Chris.” The words pierced through me. He hated me now, I knew it. “I mean, this is, like, huge news...”

“I'm sorry.” He looked up at me again. He looked... almost worried, or something. It killed me.

“Maybe we should talk about this later.”

-

It was indeed 'later' the next time we talked about it. In the early days of December, to be exact. I walked into homeroom with a purpose. I was going to tell Jonny how I felt again, just in case he'd forgotten, and get him to talk back to me. I needed to know where we stood.

“Jonny, I need to talk to you,” I told him as soon as I reached his seat. He looked a bit alert, but agreed to follow me into the hallway. We were accompanied by a chorus of “ooh!”s coming from the direction of the uglies, but I just shrugged it off.

“Careful, Bucky, sounds like he's gonna break up with you!”

“Aw, poor Bucky.” One of these days I'm just gonna flip out and hit one of them. Or both of them, either is fine with me.

“Listen, we need to talk about this,” I said as we stood by the classroom door.

“Talk about what?”

“I like you, Jonny.”

“Oh, that,” he muttered.

“I just want to know what's going on between us. It's like... there's something there, you know? I think so anyway. But nothing has to happen.” Jonny was looking to his side. There were a few people on the other side of the hallway, who might have been listening, but I didn't care. “I know you're not OK with it, Jonny, but I really like you.”

He slowly turned to me, pointing those magnificent green eyes in my direction, and whispered, “What makes you think I'm not OK with it?”

“Chris, Jonny, you two need to get back inside now.” Teachers. They ruin everything. Still, I couldn't help but feel a little bit giddy as I walked back to my seat. I took what Jonny said as basically him telling me he felt the same way. Nothing like that had ever happened before.

The problem was what we were gonna do about it, if anything. Even though I'd sorta been raised to think that homosexuality is, like, death, I'd have loved nothing more than to be with Jonny. It didn't matter to me anymore. Gender didn't matter, it was all about personality and stuff like that, as cheesy as it sounds. But it was true. I didn't like Jonny 'cause he was a guy, because I'm not gay or anything. I liked Jonny because he was awesome, and he made me smile.

I couldn't say the same for Jonny, though. I got the feeling that he wasn't too keen on pursuing any sort of relationship with me other than a friendly sort. Hoping that I was wrong, I did the only thing I could think of. I wrote him a note.

'A love note?' you ask. Basically, yes. I was a tad embarrassed just writing it, but in the end it was what could be considered my heart splashed in ink on a sheet of loose leaf. Therefore, I was proud of it. You've got to do stupid, cheesy things every once in a while, right? I slipped the paper into Jonny's hand as we were leaving the classroom.

He obviously read it, or maybe he's just psychic, because he walked up to me after fourth period with a big grin on his face. We decided that we would try things out, to see how they went, but not to be public about anything. Which sounded like a smart idea to me.

At the request of Jonny, who is currently sitting behind me, peering over my shoulder and reading every single word, I'll tell you what the note said. Even though it's horrible.


Jonny-


At first I just thought I was confused. Then I hoped I was confused. Then I realised I wasn't. I like you a lot, and there's no reason not to. You're very intelligent and humourous, in a good way, of course. You make me laugh like no one else can. And, to be perfectly honest, you're gorgeous.
I kinda get the feeling that you like me, too. I mean, it's already December and you still don't have any other friends, and I don't think you've even tried. That means something, doesn't it?
Right now I'd love nothing more than to just walk next to you down the street or through the halls and hold your hand, but I'm going to respect whatever it is you want. All I want for you at this moment is for you to be happy. So, it's all up to you. We can just ignore what our hearts tell us, and never speak of this again, if you like. But if you want to be happy with me, I'm officially giving you my full permission to do so.

Erm.. please say yes?


-Chris


Ugh, embarrassing.

-

It was a boring Monday night. There was only a week of school left before winter holiday, so everyone in the world was tired of school. I was sitting on the couch after dinner, just watching telly. My mum burst into the room, talking to someone on the phone.

“Yes, of course!... No, it's not a problem at all. We'd love to have him... Anytime... Sounds great! We'll see you then. Have a good night!” she said, then hung up the phone. “Christopher, I've got great news!”

“What is it?”

“Mrs. Buckland was just on the phone. Jonny's going to be staying with us!” I jumped up off the couch and walked over to my mum.

“What? Why? When?”

“It seems that Mr. and Mrs. Buckland will be leaving next week and taking a two-week holiday in celebration of their anniversary, so Jonny will be staying with us during that time.”

“Awesome!”

“But you've got to make sure your room is clean, first. He'll be staying in there with you.”

“Yes, ma'am!” I said, running upstairs to start. I know I was a week early, but I was really excited and my room was a total mess. It might have taken me longer than a week to clean.

As I sat on my floor, collecting all of the clothes that surrounded me, something hit me. Jonny would be staying with us for two weeks. For two weeks, we'd be sleeping in the same room. And, if it was necessary, the same bed.

I wasn't sure whether or not I was excited or frightened by this fact. Perhaps both. The thought of being so close to him sent a tingle throughout my body, but we were still hiding our relationship. It had only been a week and a half. We hadn't even done anything. Yet, I didn't know if I'd be able to control myself.

The next day, I met Jonny at his locker. Actually, I ran up to him, and sorta ran into him. And he fell over.

“Jonny, Jonny, Jonny!” I exclaimed. That was before he fell, though. And then I knocked him over. “Ah, sorry!”

“What's up with you?” he asked as I helped him up. “Did you win the lottery or something?”

“Better! You're staying at my house for two weeks!!”

“I know! My mum told me last night.”

“So did mine. Crazy world.” He laughed, took a few books out of his locker, and closed it. “Um, um, um... I'm excited.”

“I can tell,” he said, rubbing his shoulder as we walked into the classroom. “It's an exciting thing, though, so it's all good.”

“Do you know what we should do? Watch a lot of horror movies.”

“Horror movies?” he repeated as we sat down.

“Yeah. I don't know why, though. No, wait! What's that movie that just came out in theaters... um... Mrs. Doubtfire.”

“Do you have some sort of fixation with transvestites, Chris?”

“Maybe a little. But we should go see it, yeah?”

“I suppose we could,” he replied.

“Ah, these are going to be the best two weeks ever!” I was smiling like crazy, I was so happy. Jonny smiled back, too, which made me even happier.

“Definitely.”

-

It snowed like mad the first day Jonny stayed, so we stayed inside. We drank, like, eighty gallons of hot chocolate, 'cause it was so cold. It was very delicious. I forced Jonny to watch all three parts of Back to the Future, though he didn't seem to mind too much. God, I love those movies.

For dinner, my mum made spaghetti. It was also very delicious. We all sat around the table, my parents, my brother, Jonny, and I, and just chatted. There wasn't much to talk about, seeing as nothing exciting had happened that day.

“So, what did you boys do today?” my dad asked.

“Just watched movies,” I replied.

“What movies?”

“Back to the Future.”

“Oh, I should've guessed,” he laughed. I suppose I watch those movies a lot. “How do you like our house so far, Jonny?”

“Um, it's good.”

“Good to hear.”

“Oh, that reminds me!” my mum exclaimed. “Sleeping arrangements.”

“What about them?”

“We need to arrange them,” she said, turning to me. “I assume you'll let Jonny take the bed, Chris, and you can sleep on the floor. Unless Jonny doesn't mind sharing.”

“I don't mind,” he said.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, it'll be fine. Right, Chris?”

“Yep.”

“Well, that's settled then!” She turned back to my dad, and Jonny looked at me. I flashed him a little knowing smile, and he returned it. “How was your day, honey?”

“Oh, you know, the usual... blah, blah, blah...” He didn't actually say 'blah, blah, blah', but I wasn't paying attention. I was too busy eating and making faces at Jonny. He seemed to think they were amusing. My dad didn't, though.

“Chris, stop making faces and finish eating,” he demanded. I did as he told me, because that's how I was raised. I also cleared the table to make up for it. My parents must be so proud of me.

Soon enough it was time for bed. I raced up the stairs like I always did, but I froze in front of my door. Jonny and I would be sleeping in the same bed. As lovely as that sounded, it really freaked me out. Jonny was walking up the stairs behind me, and when he reached the top he tapped my shoulder.

“Chris, what're you doing?”

“Uh... waiting for you,” I lied. I walked into my room, shutting the door behind Jonny. I picked his pillow up off the floor and tossed it to him. “You can sleep on whichever side you want.”

He chose the side closest to my window, which was fine with me. I watched as Jonny lay his pillow on the bed, then sat himself down as well. I couldn't move.

“Chris, what's wrong?” he asked. “We don't have to share, if you don't want. And I wouldn't mind sleeping on the floor, either.”

“No, it's fine. Just... I'm just... well, I'm, uh, nervous. ”

“Oh, good...” He breathed a sigh of relief. “Me too.”

“Really?”

“Well, yeah, but... come here,” he said, motioning me towards him. I finally moved, turning off the light and lying down next to Jonny. “See? Just laying here... it's not so bad.”

“Hmm... I still feel like I'm gonna throw up.”

“I know what you mean,” he said, wrapping his arm around me. Then he kissed my forehead and whispered, “Goodnight, Chris.”

That was the first night I fell asleep in Jonny's arms. As strange as it was, that was the happiest night of my life.

-

Jonny's POV

I had a blast staying at Chris'. It's great that we didn't drive each other mad, because we spent literally twenty-four hours a day with each other. By day, we were the same old best friends Chris and Jonny that we'd always been. Or, we'd been for as long as we'd known each other, anyway. Just being stupid and having a laugh. By night, however, we were so much more.

Over those amazing two weeks, our secret love affair blossomed into a deep, beautiful romance. The first few nights were filled with expected nerves, but eventually they faded and gave way to incredible sensations of passion and desire. Chris is laughing at this right now, but I know it's just because he wishes he could write as well as I can. Anyway, we didn't go too far, of course, because of the fact that it was all new to us, and the whole hiding-it-from-everyone thing.

On the tenth day of my fourteen-day stay, I woke up to find that Chris was not lying next to me, as he usually was. I looked around the room, but still didn't see him. It being morning, my bladder was practically bursting, so I got up and headed for the bathroom.

I walked up to the door to find that the room was already occupied. At the same moment, though, the door swung open, revealing Chris. He had a towel in his hand, and was rubbing it against his mop of hair, which was wet and sticking to the side of his face. And he was only wearing a pair of black boxers.

When he saw me, he stopped drying his hair. Then he peered into the hallway to see if anyone else was around, and grabbed my arm, pulling me into the room with him. He quickly closed the door and shoved me up against it, pressing his body against mine and slipping his tongue into my mouth.

“Good morning, Jonny,” he whispered into my ear.

“Good morning, Chris,” I answered. He smiled and started to kiss along my jawline.

“Have I ever told you how much I like you?”

“Yes, you tell me that all the time. Listen, we better not stay in here for very long. Someone's gonna catch us one of these days.”

“You're so paranoid, Jonny, no one's gonna find out,” he said, brushing his lips against mine. Of course, someone chose that exact moment to knock on the door.

“Shit,” Chris mouthed.

“Jonny, are you in there?” It was Chris' mum.

“Yeah!” I shouted.

“Have you seen Chris?”

“Uh... no. Maybe he's outside or something?”

“Hmm, it's pretty cold out there... then again, he's a bit crazy. I suppose I'll go check. Thanks!”

“No problem!” I looked over at Chris, whose face was now pale. I waited until I thought she'd left to talk again. “I told you.”

“I need to get out of here and get dressed,” he quickly said, picking the towel up and opening the door. As soon as he did, he froze. I maneuvered around the open door to see what had stopped him. It was his mum, standing right in front of the door with her arms folded and a look of absolute disgust spread across her face.

“I told you.”

“What do you boys think you're doing?” she asked.

“Mum, I-” Chris started.

“No. I don't want to hear it right now. Chris, go get dressed. Jonny, please go downstairs. We'll talk about... this later.”

“Yes, ma'am,” I said. Chris, on the other hand, stormed off. As I walked down the stairs, I heard him slam his door. His brother was sitting on the floor of the living room, watching television. He smiled at me as I walked in, but I couldn't return his friendly greeting. I just sat on the couch, staring at the floor. It was all over.

-

“You just wait until your father hears about this!” she shouted. It was a typical thing for a mother to say, really. “Oh, you're father... how am I going to tell him? He'll be devastated.”

“That's not fair,” Chris muttered.

“Excuse me?”

“It's not fair,” he repeated. “I'm finally happy and you take it away-”

“Finally happy? You're not happy, you're confused.” Chris shook his head.

“No, I'm not confused. What, you think just because Jonny's a guy means I can't be happy with him?”

“Chris, you know that-”

“It doesn't matter if he's a bloody guy!!,” he shouted. “It his personality-

“And you could find a lovely girl with the same personality, Chris.”

“I don't want a girl with the same personality. It wouldn't be the same.”

“You don't get to choose what you want, anymore, Chris,” she said, sitting down next to him and placing her hand on his shoulder. “If you're not going to make the right choices in life, then we need to help steer you in the right direction.”

“I hate you,” he spat, shrugging her hand off. At first she looked a bit hurt, but the look didn't last long.

“I know you do now, honey,” she said, patting his head. “But one day you'll thank me.”

“Yeah, keep telling yourself that.” Realising that she wasn't going to get through to him, she sighed and stood up.

“Right, well... I don't know what we're going to do. You two certainly aren't sleeping in the same room anymore. In fact, I don't think it's wise to even let you two sit in the same room without some sort of supervision.”

“Of course it's not,” Chris mumbled.

“That's enough from you, Chris. And Jonny,” she said, turning to me. “It's nothing personal, you know. You're a very nice boy, but this sort of thing just can't happen. It's not... right.”

I didn't say anything, because I didn't feel I should. The fighting should have been between Chris and his mum only. My parents would no doubt have had something to say to me later, anyway. But I can't pretend that I wasn't hurt. There I was, taking in every hateful word that came out of that woman's mouth, but there was nothing I could do. I wanted to cry.

-

I slept in my brother's room that night. He was a bit of a git, so he forced me to sleep on the floor. It was cold. I missed the warmth of Jonny lying next to me. I missed hearing him breathe. I missed everything about him.

It hadn't even been a day, and I was already going crazy. It really wasn't fair. I tried and tried a million times to understand where my parents were coming from, but I couldn't. If your child was happy, then wouldn't you want that for them? Why would you deny them of that?

I suppose they were the ones that didn't understand. Especially my dad. He went bonkers when my mum told him about Jonny and me. He didn't actually say anything, but I swear I heard smashing from the other room while they were talking. Then he walked into the living room, and just stared at me. He had the most hateful look on his face. After that he went upstairs, and stayed there for the rest of the night.

“Chris,” my brother said. “Are you awake?”

“Yeah,” I replied. “Of course.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, what is it?” He climbed over to the edge of his bed, and looked down at me.

“Why are mum and dad angry at you? And why aren't you sleeping in your room?” he asked.

“Oh. Well, it's complicated.”

“Everyone always says that to me. No one ever tells me anything,” he said, pouting. “Will you please tell me?”

“Fine,” I said, sitting up. I felt slightly uncomfortable talking to my seven-year-old brother about it, but I figured it was better for him to hear it from me than my parents. Although, they probably wouldn't like that I told him. “Where should I start?”

“The beginning.”

“That would certainly be a good place. Well... are there any girls in your class that you like?”

“You mean, like I have a crush on them or something?” he asked.

“Yeah.”

“No! Girls have cooties.” I gave him a look. “Well, there is this one girl...”

“Do you talk to her a lot?”

“I guess.”

“When you talk to her, do you get, like, butterflies?”

“Maybe.”

“OK. Well, that's how I feel about Jonny.”

“You like him?!?!” he exclaimed. I nodded my head. “But he's a dude!”

“That doesn't matter to me. He's a really great person.”

“Aw, and he gives you butterflies? That's really cute!” he smiled. “But I'm confused... why are mum and dad angry?”

“They don't think it's okay for me to like him. Because he's a guy.”

“But you said he's really great. Isn't that a good thing?”

“Not good enough. Not according to our parents.”

“That's mean,” he frowned. “Parents are mean sometimes. Does Jonny like you, too?”

“Yes. That's what makes it worse.”

“Have you kissed him?” he asked.

“Thomas, I think that question is a bit personal, don't you?”

“That means yes.”

“Not necessarily. But yes, I have.”

“Eww!!!” he exclaimed, in a very little-kid sort of way.

“You're the one who asked!”

“So, mum and dad don't want you to kiss him anymore?” Just the way he worded it made me laugh.

“Basically.”

“Are you sad?”

“Yeah.” He hopped off the bed and landed right next to me. Then he took his tiny little arms and wrapped them around me.

“Don't be sad, Chris. One day they'll understand.” Oh, little kids. They're so tolerant and helpful. I could only hope that he was right; that one day they'd understand.

-

My parents took it a lot better than I thought they would. A lot better than Chris' did, anyway. Sure, they were a bit freaked out at first, but eventually they were okay with the whole situation. It didn't matter, though, because Chris' parents were still disgusted. They forced him to stop talking to me, and actually went to the school and had his schedule changed. The only time I ever got to see him was in homeroom, and even then he sat on the other side of the room.

Over the course of about four months, I managed to scrape up a few people who I slightly considered my friends. They were horribly dull, though, and honestly I couldn't really stand half of them. Chris, on the other hand, was completely alone. I think he wanted it that way, as he seemed to hide from everyone. Still, it hurt to see him so depressed, knowing that I couldn't help.

One lovely spring evening, as I was preparing to sleep, I heard a knocking on my window. It startled me, and I almost broke my lamp from jumping so far. I walked over and opened the window, but it was dark out, so I couldn't see anything.

“Jonny?” A voice I hadn't heard in months. It was so soothing, so beautifully soothing. But I shouldn't have been hearing it.

“Chris, what are you doing? You're not supposed to be here!” I moved my lamp so that I could see him. He looked like he always did- depressed. Yet, there was a sort of glimmer in his eyes.

“I know, but I wanted to... well, I wanted you to...”

“Come on, spit it out.”

“Run away with me, Jonny,” he said. Ninety-eight percent of me was ready to grab a jacket and just jump out the window then. Two percent of me kept my feet nailed to the floor.

“What??”

“Run away with me! We can leave, and go... somewhere, and just be together.” Yes, yes, yes! I shook my head.

“No, I can't. We can't.”

“Yes, we can!! Look, I've already got my stuff-” he started, lifting up a bag.

“Chris, please go home.”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No, I'm not going home,” he said, stubbornly. “Jonny, just come with me. We can start our own life! Wouldn't that be great?”

“Yeah, it would.”

“It would be fantastic!” he smiled. “So, come on. Just grab a bunch of stuff, and we can get out of here.”

“No, Chris... no.” His face fell.

“Why not?”

“Chris, will you please just go home? Before anyone finds out you were here?”

“Fine.” The glimmer faded, and he began to walk away.

“Goodbye...” He had already left, though. I sat down on my bed, practically shaking. I felt horrible for sending him away, but I had to. To run away with Chris, and not have to worry about anything... it sounded absolutely wonderful. But it wasn't very realistic, or smart, for that matter. I didn't want him to get into any more trouble than he was already in.

If you love something, let it go, right?

-

I was sitting in the kitchen, eating breakfast, when someone knocked on the door. My mum was right there, so she answered it. Due to the position of the door, I couldn't see who it was. I could hear, though.

“Hello, Mrs. Buckland. Sorry to bother you.” It was definitely a woman's voice, and she sounded familiar.

“Oh, that's all right. What can I do for you? Would you like to come in?”

“Oh, thank you,” she said, walking in. Chris' mum. “Um, I was wondering if I could speak to Jonny?”

“Yeah?” I said, walking towards her.

“Oh, Jonny. Hello. How are you?”

“Fantastic,” I said, with a hint of sarcasm. I think she noticed it.

“Ah. Um, have you, uh, seen Chris? Like, would you happen to know where he is right now?”

“He's not at your house?”

“No, he... he left this note last night,” she said, reaching into her pocket and taking out a sheet of paper. “It said he was going to run away, and he was going to ask you to come with him. Did he talk to you?” Three seconds. Three seconds to decide whether or not to lie. She looked absolutely worried, but it's not as though I really knew where he was.

“No, I haven't talked to him since... well...”

“Oh... do you maybe know where he could have gone?” He hadn't told me where we'd run off to, and I had stupidly been under the impression that he would go back home. Yet, I somehow knew where he would be...

Back in December, when I had stayed at their house, Chris told me about this one place. It was during one of the many times we sat on the floor of his room, just talking about nothing.

“I wish it was warm outside,” he said, staring out the window.

“Don't we all?”

“Well, I don't mind the snow or anything, but there's this one place that I'd love to bring you to.”

“Yeah?”

“See, there's this creek right by here, and it's absolutely stunning in the spring and summer and all that. There's a nice little clearing, and I love to just sit there. It's so inspiring. I actually write most of my songs when I'm there.”

“That sounds lovely.”

“It is. And I know you'd love it, there are a lot of trees around there. I know how you like trees.”

“Well, trees are brilliant.”

“One day I'll bring you there. When it gets warm, of course. And we could have a picnic! Wouldn't that be awesome?” He grinned a huge, excited grin. I smiled back.

“Yeah, it would be great.”

...She was so worried. Her oldest son was missing, and she had no idea where he could be. She was so desperate that she went to ask the person she knew he hadn't talked to in months. She wanted to know that he was OK, that nothing had happened to him. I should have told her.

“Um... I don't know. Maybe... maybe he went to the park or something? He always liked the park,” I said.

“Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you, Jonny.”

“Would you like some company?” my mum asked her.

“Oh, that would be lovely. Thank you.” She and my mum left, headed in the direction of the park. I placed my empty cereal bowl in the sink, put on my shoes, and walked out the door. I hoped that it would take them a while at the park, because I really wanted to talk to Chris. It should have worked, I thought, because I sent them in the completely opposite direction.

-

I only had a general idea where the creek was, but I managed to find it without a problem. Maybe I have Chris-senses or something. As I expected, there was a curly-haired boy sitting on the bank, with a navy blue knapsack laying next to him. He was just staring at the water.

“Chris,” I said as sat down beside him. “Hey.”

“Hey,” he said, looking up at me.

“Your mum is looking for you.”

“Does she know I'm here?”

“Not yet. I told her you might be at the park.”

“Why'd you tell her that?”

“Because I wanted to see you.”

“How did you know I was here?” he asked.

“It was a guess, really,” I replied. “Listen, I'm sorry about last night, but-”

“It's OK. I understand why you said no.”

“Did you stay here all night?”

“Yeah, I slept over there,” he said, pointing to a small section of grass that seemed to have a Chris-shaped indent.

“You know, when you run away, you're not really supposed to stay within a few miles of your house.”

“I know. But I guess I just couldn't actually leave... not without you, anyway.”

“What made you decide to run away?”

“Well, my parents thought it was too pathetic that I didn't have any friends, or a girlfriend, or anything like that, so they set me up on a date.”

“With who?”

“Daughter of someone my dad works with. I never met her. I was supposed to meet her last night, but yesterday I decided I was just gonna leave instead. I was just tired of my family. So, I packed, and hid my bag by the porch. Then when I left to 'go on a date', I just took the bag and ran. I came here first, until I thought that you'd be in your room, 'cause, you know, I couldn't just go knocking on your door. Then I went to go see you, and when you said no I came back here.”

“I can see why you like this place so much,” I said, looking around. The way the sun shone through the trees and hit the water made everything look slightly yellow. It was bright, but not blinding. “It really is stunning.”

“I wasn't lying about the trees.”

“I see that. And they are brilliant.”

“I'm surprised you remembered.”

“Why wouldn't I remember?”

“I thought maybe you'd just forgotten about me...” he frowned and looked down.

“Of course not, how could I forget about you?” I wrapped my arm around him, and he rested his head on my shoulder. “I still think about you all the time.”

“Jonny, I always wanted to tell you this, but I was afraid that maybe it would be too soon, or something would go wrong if I did, but...” He took a deep breath and looked up at me. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“Love sucks,” he crossly stated, causing me to laugh a bit.

“I think it's more of our situation than just love in general.”

“Well, whatever. It still sucks.” I nodded, and as I did so, faint voices emerged from behind us.

“Look, there they are. I guess you were right.”

“They found us,” I said.

“Yep.”

“No, wait,” I heard my mum say. I couldn't hear the rest, though. They were still quite a long way away from us.

“I guess it's time to leave,” Chris sighed. “I'll miss you, Jonny.” He placed his hand on mine, and kissed my cheek. Then he stood up, and turned to face his mum.

-

Both of our mothers were walking towards us. Chris was already standing, and I soon followed. Once they were about five feet away, Chris' mum ran towards him.

“Chris! Oh, thank God, you're OK!!” she exclaimed, briefly hugging him. “But you... how could you run away like that?”

“I didn't want to stay there anymore,” he said, coldly.

“I know it was horrible for you, but do you have any idea how worried I was? Something could have happened to you!”

“I know.”

“Running away doesn't solve any of your problems, either.”

“I know,” he repeated, as tears began to form in his eyes. “But I'll go back home now, and you can t-transfer me to another school so I'll never see Jonny again, or whatever it is you're p-planning on doing.”

“No,” she said.

“What?”

“I can't punish you like that, because... well, I was wrong before. So wrong.” She hugged him once more, this time holding him close. “Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry. You two are... well, I can't say I'm thrilled, but obviously you're not meant to be apart. I'm sorry for not seeing that sooner.”

“Thank you,” he replied, as he hugged her back.

“No, don't thank me. In fact, you should still hate me. I acted like a horrible mother.” She pulled away, but kept her hands on his arms. “You're father, on the other hand, is not going to be so easy to convince.”

“Oh, yeah. I forgot about that.”

“But I'll try my best,” she said, finally removing her hands. A huge smile lit up his face as a sign of his gratitude.

“Jonny!!” he exclaimed as he turned to me. He reached his arms out and lunged towards me, pulling me into a tight embrace that I happily accepted. I rested my hands on his back as he leaned forward and whispered, “I love you.”

“I love you, too,” I answered. Every inch of me was bursting with a happiness that I'd never felt before. All of the pain, all of the loneliness, all of everything I'd felt during our months apart disappeared from my mind the instant that Chris wrapped his arms around me. Standing there, just breathing in his aroma, I couldn't help thinking that we really were meant to be together.

“Aw, young love. How adorable,” my mum said. It would have been an embarrassing moment, had I cared about what was going on around me. I didn't, though; Chris and I were the only things that existed. Neither of us may have ever let go, had Chris' mum not brought us back to reality with her interrupting questions.

“Are you boys going to stay here, or...?” Chris pulled away, facing his mum.

“Actually, I'm getting kinda hungry. I didn't really think about food or anything when I decided to run away...”

“Well, then you can come back home with me and I'll make you some breakfast. In fact,” she said, gesturing to me and my mum, “you two are welcome to come back as well, if you like. We can all chat over some tea, or something.”

“I'd love to.”

“Yeah, thanks,” I said.

“Well, then what are we still doing here? Let's go!” Chris exclaimed, grabbing my arm and running out towards the street. In case it wasn't made clear earlier, we live in a relatively small town, so everyone walks everywhere. Or in Chris' case, runs.

We were ahead of them the entire way back to Chris', mostly because Chris ran halfway there. I suspect he'd have run the whole way, had I not been there. However, I can't run for shit, so we stopped not long after we reached the road. As we switched to walking, Chris slid his hand down my arm and intertwined his fingers with mine. Everything was right again.

-

Chris' POV

It was amazing how quickly things changed. My dad came home that day, flipped out when he saw me and Jonny sitting in the living room, then had a pleasant talk with my mum and changed his mind. I suspect that other certain things also happened, things which I will not go into detail about because they're my parents and I don't want to think about it. He's OK with us now, though, so it's all good.

With the parents out of the way, the only thing left to worry about was our classmates- a battle that had never actually crossed our minds. Amazingly enough, the battle didn't last long. About five, ten minutes, I think.

It was in homeroom, where everything seems to happen. I was writing a song, inspired by my experience, when the uglies took their seats. As always, Joe tried to start something with me.

“Whatcha doing, Chrissy?” he asked.

“Writing a song.”

“A song for your boyfriend? Bucky, right?”

“Yeah,” I replied. I wasn't looking at him, but I could sense his expression drastically changing.

“Wait... wait, you didn't tell me to piss off. You and Bucky, seriously?!?!”

“You don't believe me? I can kiss him, if you like. For, you know, proof... or just if you're into that. Although I don't know that I'd want to do that just so you can, like, get off or whatever.” He just kept staring at me, so I took it as a 'yes'. “Jonny!”

“Yea-” he started, turning towards me. He didn't get to finish, because I'd already taken the liberty of shoving my tongue in his mouth. We must have gotten a bit carried away, though, 'cause after a bit I heard the teacher clear her throat rather loudly. “Okay, then.”

“Joe said something about 'your boyfriend', so I said yeah, and they didn't believe me,” I said, pointing to the uglies next to me. A quick look around the room showed that quite a few people were staring at us. I thought the polite thing to do would be to greet them. “Oh, hey everyone.”

“Oh, well that makes sense. We're gonna need a couple name, aren't we?”

“That we are. Chrissy and Bucky... Chrucky? Bissy?”

“That sounds absolutely horrid.”

“Well, that's all I've got. What about you guys?” I asked, turning back to Paul and Joe. They were still absolutely silent.

“What about Bucksy?” Jonny suggested.

“You know what, couple names suck, anyway.” They left us alone after that. I think it's because they feel the insults aren't as great if they're true.

So, after all that had happened, what really was left to do except write about it? And write we did, which you could probably tell if you're reading this. For days and days we've sat, in the dim light my bedroom provides, just writing. Well, I mean, not all the time. We took breaks to eat and sleep and everything, plus Jonny had to go back home every now and then.

Last day of school. Last day of eleventh grade, to be precise. I am seventeen years old, six foot one (and still not finished, apparently), and I am still petrified of getting older and becoming an adult, but I've got Jonny now. I think we'll do just fine.

Of course, it's actually not the last day anymore, because it took us a bit to write this story. But I think you get my point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I had to put this in a bit later, 'cause I know Jonny would kill me if he knew I wrote this. It's a joke, sure, but he said it would be too inappropriate to write a joke in such a lovely story. I didn't actually tell him what it was, either. He's not here right now, though, so I'm gonna do it anyway.

Right, so I'm actually quite excited for summer to be over, so that when people come up to me and ask, “Oh, Chris, what did you do over the summer?” I can say “JONNY!” Wouldn't that be great? I'll totally say it, too, even though there's a huge possibility that it won't be true. I guess only time will tell.

-

“Christopher!!” Jonny yelled. He and Chris were sitting in Chris' room, Jonny at the desk by the door, and Chris lying on his bed. Jonny was holding a stack of papers in his hand.

“What?” Chris asked, looking up at Jonny with a frightened expression.

“Did you think I wasn't ever going to read this again?” Chris didn't say anything. Instead, he stared at the papers, then smiled.

“Oops!” he chuckled. Jonny breathed a sigh of frustration, and threw the papers on the desk. Then he walked over to the bed and sat down next to Chris. “But come on, you know you love it.”

“It's still inappropriate to put in our story.”

“But you love it.”

Maybe,” Jonny said.

“Would you like for it to be true when I say it? Eh, eh?” Chris asked, playfully elbowing Jonny's arm.

“Chris!!”

“What? It's a serious question. I need to be prepared.” Jonny merely shot a look at him. “Hey, it could be worse. At least this isn't going into the story.”

---

No comments:

Post a Comment