Monday, November 16, 2009

If You Love Me... (Finished)

GUY and this chick have been dating for six years. She doesn't love him anymore! How ever will she tell him?
It's not a slash fic!

---

We had been together for six years. We shared everything- stories, secrets, an apartment. We even used the same hair brush. Granted, he didn't really have that much hair to brush, but when he did he'd use mine. We were so comfortable with each other. It was nice.

I remember the first day we met. I was waiting in line for coffee at this convenience store, and I think he was waiting in line for cigarettes. I was still about four people away from the register, and he was right behind me. The cashier was some new kid that had just started that day, and with my luck he had no clue what he was doing. Every few seconds he would mumble something to the effect of, "Sorry.. new here.. first day... sorry."

I was getting really annoyed, and while I understood that he was new, I also hadn't had coffee in over 12 hours. It's a terrible addiction that I still have today. Anyway, I think I started cursing at him, not loud enough for him to hear, but loud enough for the guy behind me to hear.

"Getting a little antsy, eh?" a voice asked.

"I haven't had coffee in a while," I replied, turning around as I did. When I first saw him, there was something inside me that lit up. He was beautiful, gorgeous, sexy, hott, and... beautiful.

"Ah, I get you. It's cigarettes for me. I ran out yesterday and didn't get a chance to get more, and... like you care." He laughed nervously.

"Addictions are tough, huh?"

"Yeah. And we've probably got two of the worst ones." He paused, and thoughtfully stared at the wall. He looked like he was trying to make a decision. "I'm Guy." He held out his hand. It was a sexy hand, that's for sure.

"... Sarah. It's nice to meet you." I shook his hand. It felt sexy, too, if that makes any sense.

"The pleasure is all mine." He smiled at me. Absolutely gorgeous.

---------------------------------------------------------

It was our six-year anniversary. He told me that he had this spectacular night planned, but he wouldn't reveal anything. He only said one thing while I was making his lunch that same morning.

"So, you've got a fancy dress to wear, right?"

"For tonight?" I walked over to him with his lunch bag in my hand. He was standing next to our dining room table, making sure that he had put his shirt on the right way.

"Well, yeah."

"So... we're going to... dinner?"

"Maybe." He wasn't going to tell me any more. To be honest, I didn't really care.

"Yes, I have a dress."

"Fantastic! We'll go out when I get home, OK? I love you." He smiled at me.

"I love you!" I repeated, kissing his cheek and handing him his lunch.

But I didn't anymore.


-


"Sarah?"

"...Yes?" I looked into his eyes. He knew.

"I can't live without you." It hurt. For some odd reason, it hurt. Guilt, maybe, because I didn't feel the same? Because I spent months not telling him that I didn't feel the same?

I started crying. In the middle of this extremely fancy restaurant, dressed in the nicest dress I'd ever worn in my life, sitting across from the man I once thought was beautiful, I started to cry.

He reached across the table and stroked my cheek with his thumb. I turned away. I couldn't look at him. I couldn't look at him and see the care and love for me that I hadn't returned in months.

I don't know what happened. I used to love him so much. Every morning I would wake up next to his gorgeous sleeping body, and I'd be happy. Absolutely blissful. Even the stream of drool traveling from his mouth to the pillow made me smile. Then one day it changed. One day, I woke up and I was just... content. Not sad, or displeased, or anything, because no one could ever be sad or displeased around Guy, but not happy either. Just content.

It was enough for me, though, at first. For the first few weeks I don't think I even noticed much of a change. After a while, it made a huge difference. There was this emptiness inside of me. All day I would count down the minutes until I could see Guy's smiling beauty again, but when I saw him, it was just like seeing an old friend. I missed him when he was gone, but when he was around I could see that I wasn't as excited to see him as he was to see me.

"Sarah, what's wrong?" I think the ignoring tipped him off. I didn't want to have to break his heart, but I couldn't keep the act up any longer. It was destroying me.

"I.. don't.."

"You don't what?"

"...don't..."

"Sarah, you don't what? What's wrong?" There was a worried tone in his voice. He knew. I couldn't tell him. My stomach was churning. It felt like I was gonna throw up. Isn't that how you're supposed to feel when you tell someone you love them, not when you tell them you don't love them?

"I don't." That was as far as I got. I decided that it was finally time to look at him again. I moved my eyes slowly, trying to stall as long as I could. For the most part, he looked extremely confused and concerned, but deep in his eyes there was a hint of fear.

"... you don't."

"I don't."

"You don't... know what's wrong?" I shook my head. "You don't... want to say?"

"Well..."

"You don't want to hurt me."

"No, I don't."

"But you're going to." Tears overflew my eyes again as I nodded.

"Maybe we should get out of here." The other people in the restaurant were starting to look over at us, I could tell.

"OK," I sniffed, trying to wipe the tears from eyes. He called the waiter over for the bill, then we paid and left. There wasn't really anywhere to go, so we just kinda walked around for a bit. Neither of us said anything, but there was this tension between us. He knew, but he still wanted me to tell him. Tell him in order to make it real, or at least to let him know he wasn't imagining things.

"You aren't. You're not imagining anything." That was my way of telling him. Looking back on it, that was extremely cold.


-


I was sitting on a bench outside the Bakery, waiting for Guy to get done with the rehearsal. It was a week before our six-year anniversary. I couldn't believe that we'd made it so long, especially because I had stopped loving him quite some time ago. I heard the door open and looked over, but it was just Jonny. I sighed and proceeded to stare at the ground. Jonny unexpectedly sat down next to me.

"Hey, Sarah."

"Hi, Jonny."

"Um, Guy should be done in a few minutes..."

"Yeah?" I had a feeling that Jonny already knew. I wasn't sure how he knew, but I just had a feeling. So, I decided to talk to him about it. "Jonny, I need to talk to you."

"Sure."

"It's about Guy." For some reason, I felt completely comfortable talking to Jonny about the situation, even though he was one of Guy's best friends. Jonny just had this trustworthy quality about him.

"Hmm, you don't, uh... you don't like him anymore, do you?"

"No. Well, I like him, but I just... I don't know. I'm not in love with him anymore, I guess."

"I'm assuming you haven't told him that."

"No, I haven't." I chuckled. "I should, huh?"

"Yeah. He really cares about you, you know, and even though it'd probably crush him, I think lying to him would be much worse."

"Can you do it for me?" It was Jonny's turn to laugh now.

"I'm not the one who's not in love with him." I raised my eyebrow in a joking manner. He added, "You know what I mean. It's your problem, you can tell him."

"Thanks, Jonny."

"Any time." He patted me on the shoulder, then stood up. "I have to get home now, so I'll see you around... maybe. If you don't tell him, you know."

"I'll see you soon." He walked away, but he only walked a few steps before stopping again.

"Please, Sarah, tell him. He deserves to know."

"He does." Jonny turned back around and continued walking. A few minutes later, the door opened again, this time revealing Chris. "Hey Chris!"

"Hi Sarah. Did Jonny already leave?"

"Yeah, a few minutes ago."

"Damn." He looked over at me and noticed the questioning expression on my face. "He, uh, left something behind. Oh, well, I guess he can get it tomorrow."

I had this sudden urge to tell Chris. I thought it was maybe because I'd already told someone else, and why not tell another person? It might even help me to eventually tell Guy.

"Chris, I don't lo-" I began, and the door opened a third time. It was finally Guy. "--ove... your shoes! They're really pretty." I flashed a completely fake smile at him.

"You... what?" He looked really confused, until he turned to Guy. Then I think he realized what I was trying to say. "Oh. My shoes, right. Thanks, it... uh... it means a lot to me."

"You're welcome. Hey, Guy!" I jumped up off the bench and walked over to Guy, wrapping my arms around his shoulders and kissing him on the cheek. He loved that. He loved me. This was gonna be difficult.


-


We were sitting on a bench, Guy and I, located right in front of this beautiful fountain. It was where we had our first date. He had brought me to this seemingly nice restaurant, which ended up being an absolute nightmare. There were bugs everywhere, and the food was disgusting. We actually ended up leaving the restaurant without paying.

We ran out the door, and Guy led me by the arm to the fountain. He said that it was one of his favorite places to be. After apologizing for the dinner fiasco, he pulled out his cellphone and ordered pizza. I couldn't believe that they actually delivered it to the fountain. So there we sat, eating and talking and laughing. It was the best first date I've ever had.

"And then I told Chris he was being a prick."

"What'd he say?"

"No, that actually shut him up." He laughed. That smile was the greatest smile I'd ever seen. It was absolutely beautiful.

"I guess that doesn't happen very often, huh?"

"No way, Chris is always so talkative. I think that's why he's the front man, you know. None of the rest of us would survive that."

"You know what I love?"

"What?"

"Every single story you've told has to do with your band mates. I think it's amazing that you guys are such good friends."

"We've been through a lot together. Dunno what I'd do without them." He stared at me. I felt a shiver run down my spine. "Listen, I don't want to scare you, but..."

"Scare me?"

"Well, I was just gonna say that... I don't know. There's, like, this connection between us, you know? I think we could last for... a long time."

"Oh. That's... really sweet." I couldn't help but smile, and he grabbed my hand. I wanted it to last for a long time. Guy was the nicest man I could ever imagine myself being with.

Now, however, we sat on the bench completely silent. Neither of us were talking or smiling, especially not Guy. He was staring at the ground, his hands clasped tightly together in his lap. His expression was a combination of sadness and sickness.

"So Jonny was right?" he asked, finally breaking the heartwrenching silence. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After I had trusted Jonny, he went and told Guy anyway. Sure, he kept pestering me to tell him, and I asked him to tell him for me, but he said he wouldn't.

"Jonny? Jonny told you?!?!"

"Gee, you're sounding awfully angry right now. You'd think someone lied to you... for months."

"Guy... I'm.."

"You're sorry?"

"I should have told you sooner. But it was... I was just so comfortable around you, that at first I didn't notice, and then I didn't want anything to change."

"But everything changed! And instead of letting me know that everything changed, you pretended that nothing happened. Now I feel like an idiot."

"You're not an idiot, Guy, you're a wonderful, intelligent, handsome man. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but... I just..." He looked up at me. There was such hurt in his eyes, which was completely expected. Why did this have to happen? "I don't love you anymore."


-


I walked down the sidewalk to the alleyway where the Bakery was located. Guy had promised to take me out when he got home, but I thought I'd surprise him by stopping by. It was our six-year anniversary, after all, even if I didn't love him anymore. Before I even got to the alley, Jonny bumped into me. He always seemed to be the first one to leave.

"Sarah, tell him," he barked at me, looking very serious.

"Yeah, Jonny, it's great to see you too."

"He cares a lot about you, Sarah. He shouldn't be kept under the impression that you feel the same."

"I'll tell him, I promise."

"Yeah, when? After you two have gotten married?"

"Whatever. Just chill out, it's not like I cheated on him." Jonny glared at me with a hateful look in his eyes.

"You're such a bitch. Guy... deserves better. Much better." With that, he stormed off. For some reason, I felt angry. Jonny was completely right, yet I was angry at him. I guess I just didn't want to face the truth. I should have told Guy weeks earlier, and I was being an absolute bitch to Jonny.

"Sarah!" someone shouted from behind me.

"What?" I yelled, turning around. "Oh, sorry Guy. I'm just a little... uh, never mind. Anyway, surprise!"

"Yeah, surprise... Are you OK? You sounded a bit angry."

"It was nothing, don't worry. Just some jerk who doesn't know how to walk properly. You know how that goes."

"Oh, OK. So, are you excited for tonight?" he asked, grabbing my arm. We began to walk back to our apartment.

"Yeah. You're not gonna tell me anything, are you?"

"No way. It's a surprise. But I know you'll love it." He looked so happy. Neither of us said anything the rest of the way back. When we first got into the apartment, Guy told me to get changed. I recall hearing a phone ring as I looked through my dresser for the dress I was going to wear. Looking back on it, it was probably Jonny calling to break the news to Guy. He did seem a bit flustered when I walked back out into the living room, but as soon as he saw me his face lit up.

"You look absolutely beautiful."

"Thanks," I muttered, blushing. "You don't look half-bad yourself."

"Should we get going, then?"

"Psh, like I know? You're the one who knows where we're going."

"Right, then we should get going." We left, and as he closed the door and locked it behind him, Guy's hands started shaking.

"You OK?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." He smiled at me. "I'm just a little nervous, I guess. I really want you to have a great time tonight."

"I though you said you knew I'd love it?"

"Yeah, but there's always that 'What if?' thing, you know?"

"I'm sure I'll love it. Is that enough reassurance for you?"

"I think so." He finally got the door locked, and then he grabbed my hand. We starting walking out of the building, headed towards what was supposed to be the best night of our lives.




-




Guy's POV

"I don't love you anymore." Even though Jonny had already told me, and Sarah had basically said it before, the words still pierced through my heart like a knife. We had been together for six years. I loved her to death; nothing in the world meant more to me than her. It didn't matter, though, because she didn't feel the same. And it wasn't just that she didn't feel the same, it was that she used to, and then she stopped. How does that even happen?

I turned away from her. Her beautiful eyes would always pick me up when I was feeling sad, but this time the woman behind them was to blame. Staring at the dark ground didn't help much either, so I stood up and walked away. I didn't know where to go. I couldn't spend the night at the apartment, even though it was my apartment to begin with. It just hurt too much. I figured that Jonny would understand if I dropped by, seeing as he knew what was going on, so I headed towards his place.

It took about twenty minutes to walk to his house. When I got there I was dead tired, but I had to wait outside for five minutes before I was even let into the building. I climbed up the three flights of stairs to Jonny's door, and knocked as loud as I could. After a minute or so, he opened the door.

"Guy." His expression told me that he knew exactly why I was there.

"Yeah."

"Come in." He stood aside and held the door open for me. I walked in to his living room. I'm not sure why, but Chris was there. I think he's over at Jonny's a lot, though, so I didn't think much of it.

"Guy, you look terrible. I'm so sorry," Chris said as I walked towards him.

"You know, too?"

"Jonny told me. He's right, though, she is a bitch-"

"Chris!" Jonny exclaimed when he saw the look on my face.

"Oh. Sorry."

"It's OK," I mumbled, collapsing next to Chris on the sofa. "Actually, it's not, but whatever. I don't care anymore."

"Don't talk like that, man, it's depressing." I looked at Chris. He means well, but sometimes he doesn't know when to shut up. "You know what? I'll write a song for you, how about that?"

"Yeah, that'll make it all better. Hey, Jonny?"

"Yeah?" He was in the kitchen.

"Is it all right if I crash here tonight?"

"Yeah, of course." He walked out by Chris and me, carrying a tray of something. "Here, I made these. You guys can help yourselves. They're chocolate chip." He set the tray of cookies on the table in front of us.

"Ooh, my favorite!" Chris exclaimed, rubbing his hands together and grabbing about five cookies at once.

"Thanks, Jon, but I'm actually pretty tired."

"Oh, OK. Um, I'll get you some blankets and stuff, and... actually, you can just sleep in my bed. I'll sleep on the couch."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it's not a problem."

"Thanks again. Goodnight guys." I got up off the sofa and walked into Jonny's room. His bed looked fairly comfortable. It was nice to be able to sit and relax. I closed my eyes and began to drift off, but something in my jacket pocket dug into my stomach as I turned over on my side. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the annoyance. It was the box that I was gonna give to Sarah. I opened it. The ring looked so sad and lonely. "Welcome to my world," I muttered, tossing the box on the table next to Jonny's bed. There goes that 5000 bucks.



----



No comments:

Post a Comment