Monday, November 16, 2009

Just Be Patient (Finished)

GUY wuvs Jonny, but Jonny doesn't know. It's OK, though, 'cause Jonny totally has a thing for Guy. It's up to Chris to get them together!
It's a slash fic!

---

Guy's POV

“What do you think would happen,” Jonny began, his beautiful green eyes locked on the computer screen in front of him. “If I were to... what's it called? 'Twight'?”

“Tweet,” I replied, laughing at his technological impairments. “And going off of what happened when I started, I think a lot of people will go crackers.”

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“Well, it's not all bad. But once you start, you can't really stop,” I warned. “They expect you to tweet, like, every day. I wouldn't exactly recommend it.”

“Oh.” He sounded a tad disappointed. “It's just that there are all these people who want me to. You know how I can't let people down.”

“If you want to, go ahead. But don't say I didn't warn you. Wait,” I said, looking up from the photography equipment catalog I'd been looking at. “What do you mean 'all these people' want you to? What people?”

“The... tweet...ers?” Jonny twisted his face in confusion. “Tweeters? Twitters... twighters?”

“Twitterers.”

“Yeah, them. They want me to. They even have this, um, 'hash tag' thingy for me.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, but don't get jealous or anything. There's one for you, too.”

“Oh, cool. What about Chris or Will?”

“Nope. Looks like it's just you and me.” My heart skipped a beat when he said that. I'd been in love with him for about a month, and as awkward as talking to him was at times, some of the things he said made me smile despite the fact that he never meant anything by it. “Although, they want Chris to get a haircut.”

“He does need a trim, doesn't he?”

“I don't know... I think he looks all right the way he is now.” Of course he thought that. Chris was perfect to him. Not that I thought he was in love with him or anything, but I still felt a twinge of jealousy.

“Figures,” I mumbled. He turned away from the screen and looked at me.

“What?”

“Um, I should probably get going. It's getting kinda late.”

“No, stay here! You have to help me with this thing,” he said, pointing to the screen. “There's no way I could do this without you. Please?”

He looked at me with those gorgeous eyes of his. There was no way I could say no.

“Fine,” I said, throwing my hands up in defeat and then grabbing a seat next to him. Being that close to such an amazing man sent shivers down my spine. Literally. I'd hoped he wouldn't notice, but he did.

“Are you cold or something?”

“No, I'm fine.”

“Are you sure? I can give you my jacket if you want.”

“No, I'm good.” He shrugged and turned back to the computer screen, a confused expression forming once again on his handsome face.

I'm just in love with you.

-

“Right, Jonny, so what's the creepiest thing anyone's ever said to you?” Chris asked. We were all sitting in the Bakery, Chris, Jonny, Will, and I. The power had gone out while we were still working, and so we decided just to light a candle, place it in the middle of the floor, and just sit and chat. We were kinda playing a truth-or-truth game, like truth-or-dare without the dares.

“Um... well, I think it was when I was fifteen or sixteen, and this one girl told me she liked my pants. It was... awkward.” We all laughed except for Jonny, who looked terribly uncomfortable.

“OK, who's next?” I asked, trying to change the subject as quickly as I could to help Jonny feel better.

“Well, since you ask, I choose you, Guy.” I panicked a little. I wasn't sure what he was gonna ask me, but I knew if he asked me anything too revealing then I'd just lie. I didn't want to lie, but it's not like I could tell him the truth.

“Oh, OK.”

“Hmm... I have to think of a good one.” Jonny stared at the ground for a second, then Chris leaned over and whispered something in his ear. “No way.”

“Come on, man, you have to.”

“That's weird!”

“That's the point,” Chris said.

“Fine.”

“What is it?” I began to panic a little more.

“Chris says, 'If you had to, which one of us would you go gay for?'”

“Aw, come on. That's not a very fair question, Chris,” Will complained. He might have been a bit upset that he knew it wouldn't be him.

“Well, who cares if it's fair? We can all answer if you like.”

“You don't have to answer, we all know you'd choose Jonny.”

“Well, maybe yeah, but what about the rest of you?”

“He'd probably choose you, too,” I said bitterly.

“Who would you choose?” Chris asked, noticing that I sounded unhappy. “It was your question to begin with anyway.”

“Uh...” I could feel my cheeks getting redder and hotter. It was a good thing we were sitting in the dark. “Well...”

I tried to pass it off like I was just thinking rather than freaking out. I couldn't say Jonny, right, because it was true? Even though I suppose that's the point of the game- to answer truthfully. But then it's not like they'd necessarily know I had any sort of feelings for him past friendship.

“Come on, Guy, you've got to answer one of these days.”

“I... Fine, I choose J-” At that moment, the lights turned back on. Thank God.

“All right, the power's back!” Chris exclaimed, immediately jumping up and running over to his piano. “Come on, guys, let's get working!”

As the rest of us stood up, I glanced over at Jonny. Even though I hadn't actually said his name, he had obviously realized that I was going to pick him. He stood up and walked over to his guitar, but he did so very absentmindedly. I couldn't tell if that was a good sign or a bad sign.

After an hour or so we called it quits. Chris was the first to leave, followed by Will. As I gathered my stuff I realized that Jonny was still in the room. He was just leaning with his back against the wall, staring at me. It made me quite uncomfortable.

“What?” I asked.

“You... nothing.” He shook his head and walked away from the wall, heading towards the door. I turned around and went back to picking up my stuff. Inches from the door, however, Jonny halted. “You'd choose me?” he asked quietly. I looked up at him. He was still facing the door, and he was tapping his thumb nervously on the side of his jeans.

“I... guess so, yeah.” He continued to stare off and tap his thumb for a minute. Then he reached his hand out to open the door.

“I'd choose you, too,” he said as he opened the door and left. I sat down in complete shock. There was no way he said that. Maybe I was dreaming. No, it was real. It had to be, otherwise he wouldn't have just walked away like that.

I kept replaying the scene over and over again, searching for signs that I'd just imagined it. No matter how many times I thought about it, though, I kept reaching the same conclusion:

He'd choose me, too.

-

I walked up to the door of the dressing room. We were in Mansfield, Massachusetts, and we were a few hours away from doing a show. There was a magnificent view from the stage, and I had wanted to take a few pictures and maybe even send a tweet, but I'd left my camera in the dressing room. As I stood in front of the door, I could hear muffled voices conversing. I'm not sure why, but for some reason I felt the need to stick my ear up against the door and listen rather than just walk in.

“No, I don't think that would be a good idea,” one of the voices said. It was Jonny.

“Come on, Jon, it'll be fine. You just sing one little line, and then you're done.” Chris was with him.

“I don't want to sing!”

“You suck the fun out of everything, you know that?”

“I do not.”

“Then sing.”

“No, and that's final.” Chris must have given up, because the voices stopped. However, as I was about to open the door, Jonny spoke again. “Chris, can I, uh, talk to you about something?”

“Of course, man, anything.”

“Well, it's... about Guy.” If I hadn't been listening hard enough before, I certainly was now. What could he possibly want to tell Chris?

“Guy? What about him?”

“Well...” My heart was pounding in my chest. “I kinda... you know... I mean, I kinda like him.”

“Like? Like, like like?”

“Well, yeah.” I started hyperventilating, and I sat down on the floor, still trying to press my ear against the door.

“Wow... wow.”

“Uh huh...”

“I mean, good for you and all, it's just... not something I'd have expected, you know?”

“Well, I didn't expect it either, but these things just sorta happen sometimes, right?”

“Yeah. So... what are you gonna do?”

“Well, I think I kinda already told him.”

“What do you mean 'kinda'?”

“I mean, it's not like I walked up to him and went, 'Guy, I like you.' I don't think I'd ever be able to do that.”

“What was that?” Chris suddenly asked. I had sort of flipped out and jerked my arm into the door while Jonny was speaking. I think they heard it. “Did you hear that, Jon?”

“Yeah.”

“I think someone's at the door.”

“Shit! Chris, what if it's Guy?”

“I dunno. I'll check, OK?” I stood up quickly and tried to escape before Chris opened the door. It was no use, though; his head was peaking out from behind the door before I even got a few feet away. He saw me. I stopped and looked at him, the expression on my face a mixture of anxiety and fear.

“Who was it?” I heard Jonny call from within the room. Chris glared at me, and he gave me a slight nod to show he understood what I was thinking.

“Uh, no one. I guess I'm just hearing things.”

-

Chris' POV

The night was a cold and rainy one. I walked down the sidewalk to a pub where I was supposed to meet Guy. I figured he wanted to talk about Jonny, who'd recently revealed to me that he liked Guy in a conversation that Guy just happened to be listening in on. Jonny didn't know that he'd heard, though.

I opened the door and searched for the petite brown-haired man that I was meeting up with. Sure enough, I found him sitting at a table relatively close to the front door.

“Hey, Guy,” I said, sitting myself down in the seat opposite him.

“Chris! You're here... great,” he replied, half-smiling at me. His words were slurred a bit, which made me think that he'd already been drinking quite a lot. That by itself seemed like a bad sign, but the fact that he also looked distressed gave me the impression that he didn't exactly enjoy the news he'd received a few days earlier.

“How many drinks have you had?”

“Um... I can't remember.”

“Is this about Jonny?”

“Ugh, everything's about Jonny, isn't it? It's like, no matter where anyone goes, he's there! He's there in the morning, he's there at night... he's everywhere! In fact,” he whispered, leaning closer to me. “I'll bet he's in here now.”

“Guy, what the hell are you talking about?” I asked as Guy craned his head around, no doubt trying to find Jonny in the sea of drunken strangers.

“Talking about Jonny, remember?”

“No, I know that. What do you mean 'he's everywhere'?”

“Isn't he everywhere you go?”

“No... is he everywhere you go?”

“Yeah, everywhere! When I wake up... oh.”

“Oh?”

“Oh, right, no... I forgot that I only imagined that.”

“You're imagining Jonny?”

“Yeah, I guess I am. Sometimes... when he's not there, 'cause... it's lonely without Jonny.”

“You're lonely without Jonny?”

“Aren't we all?” His tone was so serious that I couldn't help but laugh. “But I can't tell him that I'm in love him.”

“Wait, you're in love with him?” The conversation had taken a turn that I definitely didn't expect. It was good news, though.

“Why are you asking so many questions?” he whined. “Can't I just pour my heart out to you without you asking me anything?”

“Can't you pour your heart out to me when you're sober and not speaking nonsense half the time?”

“That's another question. And I'm not gonna answer it, but I'll tell you something,” he said, pointing his index finger at me. “If I was sober I wouldn't be able to tell you that I'm madly in love with Jonny and I imagine him lying next to me every morning when I wake up, and every night when I go to sleep, and sometimes when I'm doing other things, like-”

“Yeah, I think I get it.”

“Right, so I have to be drunk. You're gonna tell him, right?”

“Excuse me?”

“You'll tell him for me, yeah? Thanks, man, you're a real pal, you know that? I can totally count on you always.”

“I'm not gonna tell him for you. You can tell him.”

“But I can't do that!”

“Why not? You know he likes you, too.”

“Yeah, I know that I know he likes me. I know what I know, remember? I'm me. But he's not me, he's Jonny, and I can't tell Jonny that I love him, even if he likes me, 'cause I'm...” he trailed off.

“You're what, chicken?” I asked jokingly. He looked down at his mug and stared at it worriedly.

“... afraid. I'm afraid.”

-

“Afraid? Of-of what?”

“I don't know, this is all new for me. I've never even thought about liking another guy before. And, you know, I kinda have a reputation as a womanizer.”

“Oh, yeah, definitely wouldn't wanna lose that title,” I sarcastically replied.

“Well, but what are people gonna think? Womanizers womanize women, they don't fall in love with their best mates who are dudes!”

“They do in cheesy romance stories.”

“Right, but this isn't one of those. This is real life.”

“Real life could be a cheesy romance story if you want it to be. Do you want it to be?”

“Um... does this cheesy romance story end well? You know, for me?”

“Perhaps.”

“Then... I guess. This whole thing is still...weird, though.” I stared at Guy for a few seconds. He looked so confused and slightly helpless. I just wished that there was something I could have done to help him be OK with the situation. “You know what? I can't remember how much I drank, but it's wanting to leave me now. I think I'll go take a piss.”

“OK, I'll be waiting,” I said as he stood up and began to stumble his way towards the restrooms. Then, out of nowhere an idea hit me. I pulled out my cellphone and dialed Jonny's number.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Jon.”

“Chris? What's up?”

“I'm at this bar with Guy.”

“You didn't tell him did you?” he asked, sounding horrified.

“No, but... there's something you should hear, OK?”

“What?”

“Well, not right this second, because I want Guy to say it, and he went to bathroom, but he'll be back soon.”

“You told him.”

“No, I didn't. He... well, never mind that. I didn't tell him, but there's something I want him to tell you.”

“Are you going to tell him?”

“Not if you don't want me to.”

“You... you can. If you think he'll handle it OK.”

“Right. And you'll stay on the line, right? So you can hear his reaction?”

“I don't know, Chris, that's a really scary thought and-”

“Wait, he's coming back... I have to hide my phone, but please, stay on.”

“Fine.” I laid my phone on the table as Guy walked back. It wasn't exactly the best hiding spot, but I figured he might not catch it on account of being so drunk.

“What'd I miss?” he asked.

“Nothing, just some... uh, you know, a few people came in, a few people left.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah, so... Jonny likes you.” It sounded so awkward, probably because I had to tell him something he already knew and we'd already discussed. Jonny, not knowing this, probably hated me for saying it like that.

“Jonny likes me, I know. Remember before, Chris? It was earlier, like a few minutes ago or something. Jonny likes me, and I love him bucket loads, but I can't tell him so you're gonna do it for me.”

“WHAT?” Jonny's voice yelled from the phone.

“...What was that?” Guy sat up, looking around in an alert fashion.

“I'm not gonna tell him, Guy, and there's no need to, because you just did.”

“I did what?”

“You just told Jonny that you love him.” I picked up the phone and handed it to him. “Say hi!”

-

I waited nervously at Jonny's door. I'm not sure what I was waiting for, though. He knew I was coming over, but I hadn't knocked yet. My palms were sweating like crazy. Tonight was our first date, and even though I knew everything was and would be fine, I couldn't help but be exceedingly nervous.

Gathering up the courage that I shouldn't have needed to gather up, I closed my hand into a fist and knocked firmly on the door. Within seconds, Jonny's handsome face greeted me.

“Hey,” he smiled. Gorgeous. “Come in.”

“So,” I said, stepping inside. “How about... that... stuff?... Oh, God, I'm so awkward.”

“It's OK,” he laughed, closing the door behind me. “It's understandable, you know.”

“But you're not awkward.”

“Yeah, maybe not right now, but just wait a little bit. The awkward train will roll in eventually.”

“The awkward train?” I laughed.

“Yes, the awkward train. I see it's already arrived, actually.”

“When do you think it'll leave?”

“Never. In the meantime, why don't we sit or something?”

“Yeah, OK.” He grabbed my hand and led me into the dining room. He'd set the table so that there were only two seats right next to each other. In the middle of the table sat a pizza box.

“Um, I wanted to, you know, cook, but... I can't. Sorry.”

“Don't be, this is great. Besides, I'm starving, so it doesn't really matter. Let's eat, yeah?” We both sat down and dug into the pizza. It was delicious. Seeing as we were already friends, it wasn't really a conventional first date. We already knew basically everything about each other, so most of our time was spent just chatting like normal. It was nice.

“Guy, I'm so glad we're together,” Jonny said after we'd chatted for a bit. “I never... never thought that anything like this would happen, but it did. And I'm really, really glad.”

“I'm really glad, too.”

“You're really handsome, you know that?”

“So I've heard. And so are you.”

“No, but not like you,” he said, blushing. “I mean, it's like comparing... I don't know. Something great to something else that's not nearly as great.”

“You better watch how much you hang out with Chris, the self-deprecating thing is starting to rub off on you.”

“Oh, that would be bad,” he laughed.

“Jonny, I love you.” He leaned forward and kissed my cheek. “But you... you don't love me.”

“Not yet, but just be patient. It'll happen.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, of course.” He smiled at me, and I smiled right back. “In the meantime... my bedroom's free.”

“Why, Mr. Buckland, a little straight-forward, aren't we?”

“That's the way I like it.”

“Well... I like it, too.” I brushed my lips against his and ran my fingers through his hair. This was the start of something great, I could tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment