Monday, November 16, 2009

I Looked Up at the Sky (Finished)

COME on. Everyone knows Chris and Jonny love each other. Yeah, they got together. That's great. Guy needs some lovin' too!
It's a slash fic!

---

Chris was laying down in the grass, looking up at the clouds slowly drifting through the sky. Everything was quiet and peaceful. The sun was shining bright and the sky was the most magnificent shade of blue. He could not have hoped for a nicer day to spend by himself. But he didn't want to spend it by himself.

He wanted to be able to share such an experience with someone he felt close to. To just lay in the grass and bask in the comfort the warm weather provided. Maybe even talk a little about silly things like how beautiful the sky would be when the sun sets. He closed his eyes and imagined how wonderful such a thing would be.

He'd be laying, just as he was now, admiring the clouds and their amusing shapes. The person he was with would be laying right next to him, so close that their bodies were touching. And of course, this person would be Jonny, because there was no other person in the world that Chris felt closer to. A spark of electricity would be flowing between them, and the ridiculous smile plastered on Chris' face would be a result of that, not of the amusingly-shaped clouds as Jonny assumed. At least, that's the way it was the last time they'd seen each other.

It was something that they did often on their days off. It was relaxing, and a lovely escape from the pressures of the music world. No critics to worry about, no paparazzi to worry about, no deadlines to worry about. Just clouds, grass, and sun. And each other.

As relaxing as the days were, they began to take a toll on Chris. Slowly but surely, he fell in love with Jonny. How could he not? Jonny was everything that Chris wasn't- perfection. At first he thought his emotions were the result of a desire to be Jonny, to be what he considered perfect, but he soon realised that it was a desire to be with Jonny. And that desire drove him crazy.

All the days they spent together, all the seemingly harmless cheek kissing, all the "friendly flirting", all the secrets they shared- it all got to him. He was extremely grateful to have such a fantastic friend, but he wanted more. Jonny, on the other hand, would surely not want more. And why would he? Chris was nothing compared to Jonny, and Jonny deserved so much more. Plus, the fact that they were both guys was a bit of a problem.

So naturally, Jonny left to visit his parents for a few days without knowing just how much Chris would miss his presence. He didn't know that Chris would continue their ritual, just because it reminded him of Jonny, and lay in the grass, thinking of him. There was another side of the story, though; a side that Chris knew nothing about. He laid in the grass, staring at the sky, without knowing just how much Jonny missed his presence. Because somewhere in the English countryside, in the backyard of his parent's house, Jonny was laying in the grass, thinking of his best friend.

-

"Listen, Chris," Guy said, taking a seat beside Chris. "We're staging an intervention." Will sat down on the opposite side of Chris and nodded. They were on a bench just outside of the train station. Chris was waiting for Jonny to return from his trip, though he had arrived an hour or so before the train was supposed to roll in.

"An intervention?" Chris asked. "For what? And how did you know I was here?"

"We're not clueless," Guy replied. "We know that Jonny's coming back today."

"And we know you're in love with him," Will added. "It's not like you really hide it very well."

"I tried to."

"You tried to hide it from Jonny, which seems to have worked, but not from us. You don't have to hide it from us."

"You don't have to hide it from Jonny, either," Guy said.

"I don't want to hide it, but... why are you guys doing this now, anyway?"

"Because Jonny will be back soon and something needs to be done about this. Now, stop trying to change the subject."

"Well, what am I gonna do?" Chris asked.

"Tell him, of course!"

"Guy, it's not that easy," Will said.

"Whose side are you on?"

"Mine," Will replied. "If Chris could just walk up to Jonny and go, 'Hey, I'm in love with you,' then he probably would have done it a long time ago."

"Good point. But he could at least try. I mean, he's Jonny, you can tell him anything, right?"

"He's my best friend, of course I can tell him anything... except for this."

"Why not?" Guy asked.

" 'Cause I'm not brave enough... or good enough," Chris muttered.

"What do you mean 'good enough'?"

"I mean that Jonny won't want me, so what's the point of telling him?"

"I think you're wrong, actually, but don't you think he at least deserves to know?" Guy asked. Chris knew he was right, but it would still be a huge difficulty to tell Jonny how he felt.

"I'll try, but I'm not making any promises," Chris said.

"We're here for support, you know."

"Yeah, thanks."

Half an hour later, Jonny stepped off the train. He was carrying a few bags, and almost left without noticing the other three were waiting for him.

"What the hell? He doesn't even see us here? JONNY!" Guy exclaimed. Jonny turned and smiled at them, then walked towards them.

"All three of you came here?" Jonny asked as he stopped in front of the bench. Guy and Will stood up, but Chris remained seated.

"We sure did. And it's good to have you back, man," Will said, man-hugging Jonny.

"Well, it's good to be back," Jonny smiled. As he looked down, though, he noticed that Chris was still sitting, and that he was just staring, his face very pale. "Chris, are you OK?"

Chris looked up at him, and opened his mouth to say something. A few seconds later, he closed it, took a deep breath, then tried again. After several attempts, he finally mustered an, "I'm-" before Guy kindly stepped in.

"He's just tired. Had a run-in last night with someone who was, uh, not exactly a fan. It upset him a bit, you know, 'cause he's sensitive and all."

"Oh," Jonny said. He didn't really believe Guy, but he could sense that he wasn't going to be told the truth. "Well... shall we get going, then?"

"Yeah," Chris said, finally standing up. The four started to walk, but Guy and Will deliberately slowed down behind Chris and Jonny. "I really missed you, Jonny."

"I missed you, too," Jonny said. He cleared his throat and added, "You know, all of you. It was pretty lonely without you... guys."

"It was lonely without you, too."

-

"Jonny, it's starting to rain," Chris said. He and Jonny were once again in the grass, except this particular day was not as nice weather-wise as the others had been. The clouds started out as a light grey, but eventually they turned dark. Jonny hadn't noticed, because his eyes were closed, though he had felt a few drops fall.

"I know."

"We should probably go." Chris sat up. As much as he loved the time he and Jonny spent together, he was ready to go home and hate himself for wasting another entire day without telling Jonny he loved him. The rain steadily grew heavier, and Chris looked over at Jonny.

"Hmm... I don't wanna."

"Jonny, we're gonna get soaked!"

"It's not raining that hard," Jonny said, just as it started pouring. "Oh, come on!" he yelled, sitting up and looking at the sky, blinking away the raindrops. "Stupid weather."

Chris leapt to his feet and held a hand out to Jonny. "Come on." Jonny grabbed his hand, and Chris felt his stomach flip. Their eyes met as Jonny removed himself from the now muddy ground, and for a few seconds, they stayed that way. The already increased beating of Chris' heart only quickened more when he realised that Jonny had not yet let go.

By now the rain was coming down in buckets and the pair were completely drenched. Chris' small curls were flat against his forehead and neck, and Jonny couldn't help but admire how beautiful his bright blue eyes were in contrast with the dark sky. Somewhere in the brief minute that had passed, Chris had gathered up enough courage to tell Jonny exactly how he felt. He never got to actually tell him, though, because as he opened his mouth, Jonny made his move.

For several minutes, Chris and Jonny stood in the downpour, Chris' hands cupping Jonny's stubbled jaw and Jonny's hands placed firmly on Chris' waist, as they passionately kissed. The rain flooded the field, covering the grass in a slippery mud, but neither of them paid any attention to anything except each other.

"I love you," Chris whispered.

"I know. Guy told me."

"He did? And you didn't say anything?"

"I didn't believe him at first. I was afraid he was just messing with me." Chris gave a soft smile and brushed his hand lightly against Jonny's cheek.

"He wasn't."

"I love you, too," Jonny smiled back. As if it had all been some plan formulated by the weather gods, the rain let up and the sun revealed itself, illuminating the already glowing faces of the two men.


-


"Sorry I'm late," Guy said as he walked up to Will. Will had been waiting for him outside of a quiet, little cafe. "Traffic and all that good stuff."

"I thought you walked here."

"Well... I... had a hard time crossing the street 'cause of all the traffic?" Will gave him a look. "Fine, I got distracted by some hot girls who, by the way, happen to be single and available Friday night. Well, not anymore," he smugly added.

"Great. Let's go inside now, yeah? I think it's gonna rain soon." Will and Guy walked into the cafe. They chose a table to sit at, and ordered some food and drinks.

"I hope they don't mess up my order again," Guy said. "Last time I asked for the pizza and they gave me some disgusting looking-"

"What did you ask me here for?" Will interrupted. He had been in the middle of watching The Notebook when Guy called him, and he really wanted to finish watching it. He wasn't going to tell Guy that, of course.

"I did something."

"You do a lot of things. Was it something bad?" Guy shook his head. "Good, then?"

"Very good. Potentially wonderful, in fact."

"Can you just cut to the chase, please?"

"I told Jonny," Guy said.

"Told Jonny what?"

"About Chris."

"No way. What happened?"

"OK, so after our little jam session yesterday, he was walking home, I caught up with him and told him."

"And...?" Will asked.

"And he didn't believe me. Sounded like he was in denial or something."

"How is any of that potentially wonderful?"

"Because he was just afraid I was lying to him! I didn't exactly manage to convince him that I wasn't, but I got him to admit that he loves Chris."

"I knew it!" Will exclaimed.

"It was obvious. I mean, did you see them yesterday?" Guy asked. "Flirt City."

"Yeah, and you would know."

"Haha, oh, you're so funny, Will," Guy sarcastically replied. "So anyway, maybe he'll finally come 'round and realise that I'm telling the truth."

"I hope so. Those two really need each other."

"Or maybe Chris will finally tell him."

"I doubt it, that kid wouldn't even have the balls to tell some random stranger he loved them," Will said, and Guy shrugged.

"I guess we could always intervene again. But really, something has to happen. And when it does, I will be so happy."

"That's a little weird."

"No, it's not. It's not weird to be happy for your friends. Plus, they are so cute together. And you know you love the man-love, you can't deny it."

"They are cute together," Will agreed. Guy looked down at his hands.

"Do you think I'll ever be able to find someone like that?" he quietly asked.

"Someone to be the Chris to your Jonny?" Will laughed.

"Will, I'm serious. People think I'm great with the ladies, but," he frowned, "I haven't had a real girlfriend in ages. You've got... what's-her-face, and Chris and Jonny will have each other one of these days. But me- I'm alone."

"Guy, you'll find someone. You've got that date Friday, right? Make the most of it."

"Thanks." Guy looked out the window. Will had been right; it was pouring now. The dark sky reflected his somber mood. Even though his friend's words were thoughtful, they didn't help. Guy just couldn't stop thinking that he'd always be alone.

-

"Will!!" Guy whined as he walked into the Bakery. He slammed the door behind him and walked over to the armchair where Will was sitting.

"What? How'd the date go?" he asked.

"I slept with her."

"Is that bad? Was it bad?"

"No, the sex was fine... but she doesn't want to see me again," Guy frowned.

"Why?"

"I'm 'not really her type'."

"But she slept with you anyway? Whore."

"Yeah, 'cause apparently that's the only type of girl I can get. And I can't even get those!!" Guy collapsed onto the couch and buried his head in his hands. Through the door appeared Chris and Jonny, hand in hand, talking about something only they would understand.

"With a melon?!"

"You're so weird, you know that?"

"Yeah. Oh no, Jonny," Chris said, looking at Guy and Will. "We didn't tell them..."

"Um, I think they can figure it out. Plus, they probably expected it."

"Yeah, we did. And it's about time. Right, Guy?" Guy looked up at Chris and Jonny. He was happy for them, sure, but seeing them together only intensified his loneliness.

"Ehhhhhhh," he whined, laying down and burying his face in the couch.

"What's his problem?" Chris asked.

"Yeah, shouldn't you be, like, happy for us?"

"I am happy for you guys, but I'm never gonna find anyone! Even if I live to be a hundred fifty years old, I'll still be single and so aloooonnne!!!" Guy said. Unfortunately, all of it was muffled by the couch.

"...What?" Jonny asked.

"He's angsty," Will replied.

"I see. Listen, Guy," Chris said, moving Guy's legs so he could sit. "Don't be angsty, things'll work out." Guy bolted up so suddenly that it scared Chris. His face, which was inches from Chris', was teeming with anger.

"That's easy for you to say!" he spat. "You've got Jonny."

"Exactly. Things work out in the end. It's only been a couple of days, you know. I didn't always have him."

"Yes, you did. You two have always been a couple, even if you didn't realise it."

"Why are you so difficult? I'm trying to help here, and you're just... you know, not helping. You're being a pain in the ass!"

"That's probably why no one likes me," Guy muttered. Chris grabbed his shoulders and began to shake him.

"Guy. Rupert. Berryman. You are an attractive, intelligent, awesome person. You have millions of women swooning over you daily. You'll be fine."

"Chris, you better be careful or you'll give him whiplash," Will laughed.

"You'll be fine unless I give you whiplash," Chris corrected himself. "Even then you'll probably still get a girl. Or a guy, you never know," he added, winking at Jonny. Jonny rolled his eyes and chuckled.

"He's right though, Guy," Jonny said. "You just have to be patient, you know?"

"I don't believe you, but I'll shut up now before I get too annoying."

"Oh, you've gone far past that point already, my dear friend," Chris reassuringly said, patting Guy on the back.

-

Everyone seemed to be a thousand times happier now that Chris and Jonny were finally together. Everyone except me. Don't get me wrong, I was happy, but only about a hundred times happier. I just wanted to find a nice girl who'd like me for more than my body. Was that so hard?

Chris told me that I needed to be more outgoing, or at least not so shy. Girls won't notice you if you don't make yourself at least a tad bit noticeable. It's just so hard. I don't really feel comfortable around a bunch of people I don't know, especially if those people are potential love interests. But I felt so alone.

Sometimes I actually wish I had been born into a culture with arranged marriages. That way I know there'd be someone for me. Of course, then I realize that it wouldn't mean either of us would like each other, just that we'd be stuck together for the rest of our lives. That's probably worse than being alone.

After a few months I learned to deal with it. Chris had been right; things would work out in the end. If I was meant to have someone to love, then she'd show up eventually. If not, then there was nothing I could do, so I might as well be happy with what I got. Three amazing best friends, and a fantastic career doing the only thing I would ever want to spend my life doing. Good things come to those who wait.

And wait, and wait, and wait. Before I knew it, hell, before any of us knew it, we were all gathered around the tiny little kitchen table in Chris and Jonny's flat. They'd been living together for quite a while. Oh, and we were gathered around in celebration of their one year anniversary. A whole year had just flown by. Girls came and went, mostly only staying one night and fleeing the next morning. As boring and routine as it was, I figured that I might as well keep going out to meet girls. If I didn't find the girl of my dreams, I at least got to have sex with a bunch of chicks. That makes me sound like a pig, doesn't it? That's the most optimistic way I can think of looking at it, though.

Unexpected things happen all the time. For instance, none of us expected the fire that was caused by Chris' attempt at cooking- wait for it- instant mashed potatoes. That's right, the kind where you just boil the water and add the flakes. Yet, somehow he managed to set fire to the kitchen. Alarm went off, everyone rushed out of the building, people panicking in the street, Chris apologizing profusely to everyone. A young redhead standing frozen, jaw dropped, staring at me. When she noticed that I looked at her, she turned away. She was really pretty.

"Guy, I'm so sorry, man," Chris said. I looked away from the redhead, and shook my head at Chris.

"I'll never understand how you manage these things, Chris. But you don't need to apologize so much."

"Sorry."

"Excuse me?" a sweet voice said. Not only did she have red hair, she also had the biggest, most beautiful hazel eyes.

"I'm so sorry about all this, ma'am," Chris immediately began. "I really should learn to not cook ever."

"Oh, it's fine. Um, this is gonna sound a bit awkward, but are you the guys from Coldplay?"

"Yeah, are you a fan?"

"Well, I've heard some of your songs. They're good, I like them," she smiled.

"Well, thank you."

"You're welcome," she said, then turned to me. "You're Guy, then? Guy... B-Berryman?"

"Yeah," I said. It was weird to think that I felt so nervous around her. She probably felt just as nervous.

"Guy... wow. Wow. I can't believe this... You're Guy!"

"Yeah, that's me." I felt so awkward, but I really wanted to keep talking to her. She seemed kinda interesting. "So... we've established that I'm Guy. And you are...?"

"My name's not important."

"That's an interesting name." Was I being witty? Flirting? I couldn't tell what I was doing. All I knew was that there was something special about her.

"No," she chuckled, "it's just that... well, I don't really like my name."

"Then get a nickname or something. Besides, at least your not called Guy. That's, like, the plainest name ever. Plus, you're a girl."

"It's a lovely name."

"Yeah, and I'm sure yours is, too. So, let's try this whole thing again." I held out my hand. "Hello, I'm Guy."

"Nice to meet you," she replied, smiling and shaking my hand. "I'm Dianna."

-

It was a beautiful summer night. The setting sun streaked the clouded sky with a magnificent shade of pink. A rather large group of people, including Chris, Jonny, Will, Guy, and Dianna, were assembled in the fenced backyard of Dianna's parents' house.

Over the nearly seven months that had passed since Guy had started dating Dianna, she and the four men had gotten to know each other very well. So well, in fact, that she invited them to the family gathering her parents were having. Her father was barbecuing several hamburgers (a veggie burger for Chris) and hot dogs on the grill. Chris and Jonny were talking to her mom. Will was off chatting with one of her relatives about some Playstation game that had just been released. She and Guy were sitting in the corner of the yard.

"The sky looks lovely, doesn't it?" she remarked.

"Yeah, it does," he replied. "But not as lovely as you." She looked right at Guy, blushing.

"You're too kind."

"Hey, Dianna!" She turned around to see a group of three men waving at her from the doorway.

"Oh, God, my cousins are here," she said, turning back to Guy. "I've got to go socialize, it seems."

"Have fun."

"Yeah, I'll try." She stood up and made her way over to the men. Chris almost immediately sat down in her spot.

"I was right. Looks like you've found what you were looking for, eh?" he asked.

"Yeah, the Chris to my Jonny, right?"

"You know, everyone says that, but it's terrificly unfair to me. All I have is a Jonny to my Chris."

"Aw, poor you," Guy laughed. "Do you need a hug?"

"Whoa, Guy, I'm happily taken."

"Yeah, me too." He looked over at Dianna. She looked a bit uncomfortable talking to her cousins, but she was laughing. Guy thought she looked stunning when she laughed.

"Are you gonna marry her?"

"I was planning on it," Guy said, pulling a box out of his pocket and flashing a gorgeous ring.

"Oh, wow," Chris said, admiring the ring. "Good luck, mate."

"Thanks."

"When are you gonna ask her?"

"I was thinking about doing it sometime tonight, bu-"

"What are you waiting for? DIANNA!" Chris shouted. "Get over here!"

"What is it?" she asked when she finally reached the pair.

"Oh, is that Jonny calling me?" Chris stood up, and as he walked away he squeaked, "Toodles!"

Dianna watched Chris walk away, a confused expression on her face, then turned back to Guy. "So...?"

"You're beautiful, you know that?" Once again, she blushed and looked down.

"Thank you. Was that all you wanted?"

"Marry me." Guy held out the ring, and Dianna covered her mouth with her hand in surprise.

"Yes," she said, and he slipped the ring on her finger. Then he wrapped his arms around here and puller her close.

"I love you so much," he said.

"I love you, too. There isn't anyone I'd rather spend my life with."

No comments:

Post a Comment