Monday, November 16, 2009

My Star Is Fading (Finished)

JONNY has noticed that Chris isn't really himself lately. And what's with that bruise on his arm?
It's a slash fic!

---

Jonny's POV

Something was definitely wrong. Chris had his good days and his bad days, but for the past few weeks he'd been acting really strange. At first, I didn't really think anything of his behavior; I just passed it off as Chris being Chris. But after a couple of days... I was getting really worried.

Usually when he messed up lyrics or chords to a song, he'd just make fun of himself and start over. Now it seemed like he was almost afraid of messing up. I'd often see him looking around nervously when he came close to doing anything wrong, actually. He even seemed to be slightly more afraid of Will.

“Sorry, Will,” he said after he'd said something about Guy being the most handsome. We were at the Bakery, working on new material.

“... Why are you apologizing to me?” Will asked with a very confused look on his face.

“Uh... I don't know. Sorry.” Chris looked down at his piano and sighed. He looked like he was in pain.

“Um, I think we're done for today,” Will said, probably noticing Chris' odd behavior. “We can pick up where we left off tomorrow... or something.”

“Yeah, that's a good idea,” Guy agreed. I nodded, still looking at Chris. “...Chris?”

“Huh?” He alertly looked up and around the room. “Oh, uh... yeah. Tomorrow. So... we'll all just... go home, then?”

“Yeah, that's what we usually do. Not like you... have to, though. There's no, you know, law or anything.”

“Right, no... home. That's good.” Chris yet again looked down at his piano, and Will and Guy began to leave. I wasn't sure whether or not I should go with them, or stay and talk to Chris. I was really worried about him, and I could tell the others were, too. But they didn't seem to want to find out what was wrong.

“Aren't you going, Jonny?” Chris asked. I looked around to see that while I had just been standing, staring at and worrying about Chris, both Guy and Will had left. I figured I might as well try to talk to him.

“Yeah, but, um...” I walked over to the piano, resting my arms on the top. “What's wrong?”

“What do you mean?” He was still looking down. He was still in pain.

“You've been acting really strange lately.” He looked up at me. There was a sort of frightened look seeping through his eyes.

“It's nothing,” he sighed, and for the third time he looked down. I walked around the side of the piano, and place my hand on his shoulder. “Everything's OK, Jonny. You can leave.”

“Chris, I know you're lying. But, whatever it is you're going through, I'm here for you, remember that. And Guy and Will are here for you, too.”

“Why? All I ever do is mess things up.”

“That's not true.”

“Then why...” he began, his pitch getting higher. “No, I mess everything up. Otherwise... otherwise everything would be OK.”

“I thought you already said everything was OK.”

“There's nothing I can do to fix it, so it might as well be.”

“Fix what?”

“It doesn't matter, Jonny! You should go home. Relax and stuff... you deserve it.”

“And what about you?”

“I don't deserve anything. I'm a horrible person.” He raised his left arm, resting his elbow on the piano and his head in his hand. His sleeve fell down a bit as he did so. That's when I noticed a rather large purplish spot on Chris' forearm.

“Chris, what's that?” I asked, pointing to the spot.

“Uh, it's nothing,” he said, quickly pulling back his arm and trying to cover it up. “It's nothing.”

“Chris,” I said, grabbing his arm and pulling the sleeve back. There were a whole bunch of bruises, all various sizes, covering his forearm. “Chris... you didn't do this to yourself, did you?”

“Maybe I did.” I could tell he was lying. “But it's my arm, and I'm allowed to do whatever I please to it.”

“Why would you do that?” I played along, hoping that I could somehow get the truth out of him.

“Because I'm a horrible person and everything that goes wrong in my life is my fault and my fault only. So... I should be punished, right?” The way he said it sounded less like him trying to explain to me and more like him trying to convince himself. But why would he convince himself that he was worthless?

-

Chris' POV
Her name was Rachel. I thought she was beautiful. Dark brown hair, lovely hazel eyes, and a smile that could light up a whole room. That's how it was at first. We dated for a month or so, then she moved in with me. It might have been a bit too soon, but we were very serious and very happy together.

After a few weeks, though, things started to change. Some nights she wouldn't come home. I worried quite a lot, which is not new to me, but it still didn't feel good. When she did come home, she was usually... not in a right state. Dark circles formed under her formerly lovely hazel eyes, her face was always pale and gaunt, and she seemed to be thinner everyday.

One day she came home, obviously hopped up on some form of drug. I asked her about it, because I was worried and everything, but she didn't want to give me a straight answer. We ended up getting in a fight.

We were just yelling back and forth, me expressing my concern and her denying whatever she was doing. I took it too far, or something, because she got really angry. She shoved me up against the wall and... Well, needless to say I ended up with a hand print on my face and a sore stomach.

I thought it would stop there. I thought she would stop there. But she didn't.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonny's POV

“Oh, no...” He looked at me, the fear returning to his eyes. “Chris... no...”

“I don't know what you're talking about,” he quickly said.

“Chris, you have to stop this. You have to get help. There are numbers you can call, people you can talk to-”

“Don't tell anyone.” His tone turned very serious. I shook my head. “No one can know about this. If anyone finds out, it'll only get worse. It's OK as it is now. Just leave it. I can handle it.”

“Chris, you think this is OK?” I asked, pointing to his arm.

“There's only a few bruises.”

“Only? This is serious, Chris. You know it won't stop there... wait, it hasn't already... I mean, there hasn't been any worse yet, has there?”

“I...” he began. Suddenly, the piano was with collecting a pool of Chris' tears. “I can't say or else... or else everything will get worse.”

“Well, nothing's going to get better if you just let this happen. How... how could...”

“How could I let this happen? It's my fault, I know. It's always my fault.”

“No, Chris, it's not your fault. You're not the one doing this. She is. How could she do this to you?”

“She's only doing what she should be.”

“Stop making up excuses for her! What she's doing is wrong, Chris, and I know you know it. Stop trying to convince yourself otherwise and let me get you help. You need help.”

“But it's hard enough as it is to come home and... and... I can't even say hi to her without doing something wrong.”

“You're not doing anything wrong. Don't let her make you think that you are.”

“...I don't want her to hurt me anymore,” he quietly said. I sat down on the piano bench next to him and put my arm around him. He buried his head in my shoulder and began to shake and sob.

“Then let me help you.”

“I'm afraid, Jonny.”

“I know, I know. But we'll get you help, and it'll all be OK. It'll take some time, but things will get better.”

“You don't know that.”

-

“I changed my mind.” Chris and I were standing outside the door to his flat. “You can leave now.”

“What?”

“Um, it's not so bad. In fact, I really did do all this to myself. You know, not on purpose. You can go.” He waved goodbye at me, a fake smile spread weakly across his face.

“I'm not leaving. We're doing this, and we're doing it now.” I grabbed his arm and opened the door. I walked inside, dragging a reluctant Chris behind me. No one seemed to be in the apartment, but moments later a tall brunette walked into the room.

“Hey, Chris, babe! Jonny!” she smiled at us. I just gave her my best impression of Will's death stare. It probably wasn't as good as the original, but it seemed to do the job. “What's wrong?” she asked in a mock concerned voice.

“You know what's wrong,” I said.

“You told him,” she yelled, turning to Chris, who cowered back a little. “You fucking told him!”

“I didn't-”

“You little fucker!” She clenched her fists, and Chris moved closer to me, grabbing on to the hem of my shirt.

“I'm sorry, I-I-”

“He didn't tell me anything. I saw the bruises.”

“Oh, don't stick up for him. If he can't man up himself, then it's too bad for him. You can go now.”

“I already tried that, it doesn't work,” Chris muttered. It would have been a comical moment, had the situation been entirely different.

“I'm not leaving, and I'm certainly not letting you hurt Chris any longer.”

“What are you gonna do? Yell at me? Ooh, scary.”

“I'll call the cops.”

“You haven't witnessed anything. And him,” she pointed to Chris, who was now starting to shake. “He's not gonna say anything. Are you?”

“N-no. What's there to say anything about? Everything's fine.”

“Chris! You're making this about a thousand times more difficult than it already is.”

“He always does that," she sneered. "Always makes things more difficult. Can't let anything be.”

“So you hit him? And that fixes everything?”

“Not... yet.” She looked around the room in defeat. I turned to Chris. He had a rather confused look on his face, unsure of whether or not he was safe.

“Come on, we're leaving,” I told him.

“Where are we going?”

“My place. You can stay with me for the night.”

“Oh.” He looked over at Rachel as if he was waiting for her to freak out, but she stood still. “OK.”

Chris grabbed a few things before we left, and then we went back to my flat. I hadn't expected the confrontation to go so quickly, and to end on as well a note as it did. Not that it really went all that well, but at least no one was hurt. All I could hope for now was that no one would get hurt in the future, particularly Chris. That poor man's been through enough as it is.

-

I walked out of the bathroom and down the hallway. As I passed the door to my bedroom, I checked inside. Chris was lying on my bed, where I let him sleep for the night. I was headed to sleep on the couch, but a quiet voice stopped me.

“Jonny,” he said, looking over at where I stood. “You can sleep in here with me... if you want. I mean, I'm sure the couch isn't very comfortable, and I don't mind.”

“Are you sure? There's not a whole lot of room...”

“I don't mind,” he repeated. I walked into the room and lied down next to him. “Can we talk?”

“Sure,” I said. There really was almost no room for both of us to sleep there, but I wasn't going to deny Chris of my presence. “What do you want to talk about?”

“Thank you for helping me. It means a lot.”

“Of course, you're my best friend. I can't stand to see you like this.”

“I love you, Jonny.”

“I love you, too, Chris,” I replied.

“No, but... I really love you. Like, you know-”

“Uh, maybe... maybe now's not such a good time for that... with your situation and everything.”

“Oh, right. Sorry.” The truth is, I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about Chris. I loved him more than anything in the world. I always thought it was in a friend sort of way. But seeing Chris so helpless, it... it changed something. Then when I was defending him, it all felt different. I started to question a lot of things, and Chris' declaration of love didn't help clear anything up.

“Did you want to talk about something else?”

“Um, I'm actually kinda tired. I think I'm just gonna go to sleep.” He was clearly upset, which wasn't surprising. He rolled over so that his back was facing me. “Goodnight, J.”

“Goodnight.” I closed my eyes and attempted to sleep. At first it didn't work; I just couldn't stop thinking. Finally, after an hour or so of thinking and rethinking everything I've ever thought about Chris, I slowly drifted into unconsciousness.

When I woke up, I opened my eyes to see that Chris had turned again at some point in the night. His face was now inches from mine. He looked so peaceful. I kept thinking about everything that had happened the day before. I hated Rachel. I had always suspected that she wouldn't be any good for him, though I never thought anything like this would happen. How could you even contemplate hurting someone so kind and sweet?

Someone who would apologize for the smallest things that didn't even need an apology. Someone who would always be there to listen to every word you say and to give you advice when you need it. Someone who would gladly share an appallingly small bed with you so you wouldn't have to sleep on the couch. Someone whose beauty and intelligence were undeniably evident even in their sleep...
And that's when I knew exactly how I felt about Chris.

-

“Did you get any sleep?” Chris asked as he walked into the dining room. “How long have you been up for?”

“I've been awake for a couple of hours. I got enough sleep, I guess,” I replied.

“Would you have gotten more sleep if you slept on the couch? Maybe there would have been more room.” He sounded as though he actually felt guilty for being polite and sharing the bed with me.

“Don't worry about it, I probably wouldn't have slept for much longer. But, uh, what about you? How are you doing?”

“I'm... OK. Um...” He sat down in the chair next to me. “Do you think it's really over, this whole thing? R-Rachel and...”

“You're safe now, Chris. I'll make sure of it.” I reached out and grabbed his hand. “I'll make sure she never even touches you again.”

“Can I have some of your water?” he asked, pointing to the glass on the table.

“Yeah, sure.”

“Thanks.” He took a sip, then just stared at the cup. After a few minutes, he spoke again. “Why are you doing this to me?”

“Doing what?”

“Being so nice,” he replied.

“Cause... that's what friends are for, right?” He slowly nodded, then looked up at me with his big blue eyes.

“Jonny... do you love me?”

“Uh...” I wasn't sure whether or not I should tell him. He did say that he loved me back, but I couldn't be sure that he knew what he was talking about. And I didn't want to get hurt. So, I just didn't answer. Chris turned back to the glass and took another drink. As he was doing so, I decided that I should answer. “Yes.”

It was a bad decision, really, because he nearly choked on the water. He didn't, though. Instead he just spilled it all down the front of his shirt.

“Shit!” he exclaimed, wiping the water off his chin. “I am so sorry.”

“Why are you sorry?”

“It was your water.”

“Oh, that's no big deal. Do you, uh, want to borrow a shirt or something?”

“No, I brought some extra clothes. I'll just change.” He stood up and removed his shirt. It would have been a nice view, if things had been different. But they weren't, and as he lifted his shirt off he revealed an alarmingly large number of massive bruises and scratches all along the left side of his torso.

“Jesus, Chris...” He looked at me, a bit confused, and realized what I'd been staring at.

“Oh... I forgot about those.” He placed his hand on his abdomen, trying to cover up the wounds. “See, Jonny? You make me forget about all the bad things that happen to me. No one else could do that.”

“Chris...”

“But you just said that you love me!”

“Yeah, and it's not that I don't appreciate you thinking you love me, but the thing is... I mean, look what you've just been through, and I don't know if you're really in a state where you can be making that kind of call seriously. You know?”

“Oh, OK. Sorry. I'm just gonna go change now.” Five minutes later, I was sat down on the couch, and Chris had just finished changing. He sat down beside me and immediately said, “Just so you know, I knew before.”

“What?”

“I knew even before I met Rachel.”

“You knew what?”

“About you. I'm... in love with you. I was sure of it. But I met Rachel and figured why not give it a go? ...Of course, now I know why not.”

“Really? You knew?”

“Yeah, definitely. Does it make any difference?” he asked.

“Maybe.”

-

Chris' POV

“Jonny!! Stop!” I was practically lying on the couch, with Jonny leaning over me. And he was tickling me. Can you believe that? He was tickling me. I'm a quite ticklish person, you know, so it's basically cruel to tickle me. Sure, I may have taken his hat first, but that's still mean.

“Then give me back my hat!”

“Why? You look fine without it!” He really does. He looks fine with it on too, though.

“No, I don't. Now give it back or I won't stop.”

“Come on, Jonny! I'm an injured man, you can't torture me like this!!” That got him to stop.

“Oh, you did not just play the injured card. Well, I'm a self-conscious man, you can't take my hat like this!”

“But I just wanted to wear it and look like you, Jonnyboy.” I made my saddest-looking sad puppy face. Despite my cuteness, it didn't work.

“Well, that's very flattering, but I want my damn hat back.”

“You can be me, though! I'll wear your hat, and be you, and you can-”

“Sprout an afro? I don't think so.”

“It's not an afro! It's just... a bit curly.” I ran my fingers through my luscious locks. They were getting a bit long. “OK, maybe it's an afro.”

“I don't think the hat will even fit over your hair.”

“Fine, ruin my fun. You can have your hat back now.” I threw it at him. He grabbed it, placed it on that adorable little head of his, and then had the nerve to smile at me all smug-like. So I stuck my tongue out at him.

“Hey, I'd keep that tongue in your mouth if I were you.”

“Why, what would you do if I didn't?” Of course, I knew what he'd do, but being flirty is fun. I thought I knew, anyway. It seemed obvious.

“Well,” he began, leaning in closer to me. “I would say that I'd have to do... THIS!” And then he started tickling me again. Not what I expected. I swear, one day I'm gonna... no, actually, I couldn't do anything to Jonny. I love him too much. Maybe I'll just tickle him... except I'm not sure he's ticklish. There's only one way to find out, though.

“JONATHAN MARK BUCKLAND!”

“What?”

“I'll take your hat again!”

“No, you won't, because if you do, I'll just keep tickling you.”

“AHHH!!! Wait, stop!! I have something I need to tell you. It's... super important.”

“Fine, what is it?”

“I love you.” He smiled and kissed my cheek.

“I love you, too.” Being with Jonny was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I really needed it, too, after the whole Rachel situation. Most of the time I was with him I would completely forget about her and everything she did to me.

It had been some time since I'd seen her last, a month or so, and I was glad for that. I had moved out of the flat and was staying with Jonny. Things were going absolutely great. The only problem was I just couldn't shake off the feeling that none of it was over.

-

“I'm gonna go to the bathroom, I'll be right back.” We'd gone out to a bar that night, one that was just a few minutes walking distance from Jonny's flat. On the way there, I could have sworn I saw the same shadowy figure walking behind us the whole time. Jonny told me I was just being paranoid. I figured he was probably right.

“OK.” I watched Jonny walk away, and suddenly I became very worried. Even though he had assured me we hadn't been followed, I could feel that something was wrong. Something bad was going to happen.

“Chris? Is that you?” It was a woman's voice. I didn't respond at first, because I felt like I should try to avoid talking to anyone. It didn't work, though. “Chris?”

“Yeah?” I turned around, and immediately I froze. It was... her.

“Hey!” she smiled. Smiled... I couldn't believe it. “Long time no see, eh?”

“What do you want?”

“I just wanted to say hi. And ask you how you're doing. So... how are you?”

“Bruise-free, thanks.” I turned away, hoping that I'd see Jonny walking back. Although Rachel didn't seem too threatening, I was still very uncomfortable being around her by myself. A little scared even. I couldn't help it.

“Oh, don't be like that. You know I was in a bad place then, it wasn't my fault.” When I looked back at her, I noticed she was standing in a different position. I wasn't sure why that seemed so relevant, but it did.

“Don't be like that? Are you kidding me? Piss off.” I turned again. Why was Jonny taking so long?

“You know, sometimes I wonder why I was ever with you in the first place. You can be a real jerk sometimes.”

“Yeah, and you're an absolute angel. I have the scars to prove it.”

“Wow, big words. I'm surprised you're so... brave now. Could've come in handy earlier, huh?”

“This is funny for you?” I was practically shouting by this point. We both were.

“It seems to be funny for you.”

“It's not funny for me, I'm trying to get you to leave me the fuck alone!” The nervousness started to worsen. I just kept wishing that Jonny would come back and save me.

“Ah, there it is.”

“What?”

“The voice crack. The one that says, 'I'm trying to act tough, but deep inside I'm just a scared little boy.' You haven't changed a bit.”

“Neither have you, you're still a bitch.” As soon as the words left my mouth I knew I was in trouble. I was actually a bit surprised that I'd managed to say it. Moments later, I felt a sharp pain as her open hand collided with the side of my face. It was a terribly familiar feeling.

“Goodbye, Chris.” Luckily, she walked away. I took a sip of my drink, still waiting for Jonny. For some reason, it seemed to taste a bit odd. I thought maybe I was bleeding a bit or something, but my mouth seemed to be blood-free.

“You wouldn't believe how stupid some people are,” Jonny said as he returned to his seat.

“What happened now?”

“Well... I don't really want to talk about it, actually. Hey, this place sucks, right? Do you want to just go home or something?”

“Yeah, sure.” I moved to stand, and as I did so the room started to spin. I felt dizzy even sitting down. “Jonny?”

“Yeah?” I reached out to grab his arm, but I couldn't find it. There were about five different Jonny's in my view. “Chris, what's wrong?”

“Jonny... I don't feel... don't feel so good...” I managed to take a hold of his jacket, but by that point everything had gone black.

-

“Bait grape smug,” I heard a man say as I woke up. I kept my eyes closed, but tried to listen to my surroundings. The voice was unfamiliar to me, but I could barely hear anything.

“Bait grape?” That one I recognized. Jonny. But I still had a hard time hearing, and I was pretty sure that my brain was replacing whatever they were actually saying. Unless they'd all gone mad.

“Yes, bait grape. Someone bust half tripped trim something.” It was the other man again. Slowly, my sanity and consciousness returned, and I was able to properly hear their conversation. “Was there anytime when maybe you two weren't paying attention, left your drinks alone, anything like that?”

“Um... oh, shit... when I went to the bathroom. I left him by himself, I don't know if he was paying attention the whole time. He kept telling me that he had a bad feeling about going out, I should have listened to him.”

“Don't beat yourself up, he'll be fine. There's no way you could have known.”

“I shouldn't have left him by himself.”

“What's going on?” I asked, slowly opening my eyes.

“Chris, you're awake,” Jonny said, walking over to where I was.

“I know that. What's going on?”

“Uh, you passed out, so I brought you here.” I looked around. There were lots of people dressed in white coats and navy blue scrubs, and some people that didn't look like they were doing too well. Me, I was lying down on a rather uncomfortable bed.

“The hospital.”

“Yeah.”

“I passed out?”

“Uh huh.”

“I think I remember that... why'd I pass out?”

“Someone put something in your drink.” That made sense. It would explain why it tasted funny. But who...

“Rachel.”

“Rachel? Um... what about her?”

“She did it. She must have... when I turned, and then she... I knew something bad was gonna happen.”

“I'm so sorry, Chris. I should have listened to you... but she was at the bar? She talked to you?”

“Yeah, while you were gone, she came up to me and started talking to me. And I guess it must have been her.”

“She couldn't just leave you alone?! God, I hate that woman. Do you know what she gave you?”

“Something about grapes,” I muttered.

“GHB. That's a date rape drug, Chris. She... ugh, I hate her!!” He punched the table next to the bed. It was a bit scary seeing him so angry, but it also made me feel a bit better to know that he cared about me so much.

“Date rape... Jonny, do you think she followed us?”

“I don't know. But why... why would she slip you something then leave?”

“I think I ended up pissing her off. Whatever, it's done now. But I'm OK, right? I'm not gonna die or anything?”

“No, the doctor said you'll be fine,” he said, grabbing a chair and sitting beside the bed. “They're gonna let you stay the night.”

“Will you stay here with me?”

“Yeah, of course.”

-

“Thank you for staying with me,” Chris said, smiling at me.

“Anytime.”

“Do you want me to tell you a story?”

“Sure.”

“The first time... it happened...”

“Oh, Chris, you don't have to talk about that.”

“No, I want to. I want you to know what happened, and I want to tell you.” He looked down at the bed he was lying on and sighed. “The first time it happened, it was a few weeks after she and I moved in together. She wasn't herself anymore. She'd started using. So, one day she came home and I asked her about it. She got angry with me, and she... but I was only worried about her, Jonny. I just wanted to know what was going on.”

“I believe you.”

“She just got so angry, and... I thought it would be a one-time thing. I hoped it would be. But then, a few days later, it happened again, then a few days after that, and a few days after that... then eventually it was everyday. Sometimes... sometimes it was more than once a day.”

“Oh, Chris...”

“I thought it was 'cause I was weak or something. Weak and stupid. And I deserved what she did.” His eyes were filled with tears at this point. “But I know it wasn't true, Jonny, I know that I wasn't weak and it wasn't my fault. It's just... when she started, she'd always trap me somehow. She'd pin me up against the wall or back me into a corner. I just became so afraid of her. I could barely even be in the same room without... p-panicking.”

“I'm so sorry. Things like that, they shouldn't happen- well, they shouldn't happen at all, but especially not to people like you. You're too... lovely.”

“I'm nothing compared to you. You saved me, Jonny. I don't think I could ever repay you.”

“You've already done that Chris. I couldn't ask for more than just being with you. I love you so much.”

“I love you, too.” He smiled and wiped away some of the tears that were streaming down his cheek. “Oh, look at us, two grown men crying like a couple of schoolgirls.”

“Ah, you're the only one who's crying.”

“Well... yeah.”

“But if it makes you feel better, I'm crying on the inside.”

“You know,” he laughed. “That does make me feel better. Thanks.”

“You're very welcome, Christopher.” I lifted my hand and brushed my fingers through his hair.

“Since when do you call me Christopher?”

“Since right now, Christopher. Why, don't you like it?” He crinkled his nose.

“The only person I know- well, besides you- who calls me Christopher is my mum.”

“Hm. I can see how that would be a bit awkward for you, then. What if I called you Chrissy?”

“Chrissy?”

“You just aren't happy with anything, are you? I'm guessing you'd like for me to call you Chris,” I said, rolling my eyes.

“That would be nice... but I suppose you can call me Chrissy if you really want. But I get to call you Jonny J-man whenever I want!”

“Chrissy and Jonny J-man... I like it.”

“We're so weird.,” Chris laughed.

“Yeah, but it's a good kind of weird, isn't it? As long as we're happy, right? That's all that matters.”

“Oh, yes, very happy. It's the most important thing in the world.” He smiled and added, “Next to you.”

-

“Oh, shit,” Jonny said. He and Chris were sitting in the kitchen of their apartment. Chris was absentmindedly spreading cream cheese on a bagel, and Jonny was reading the newspaper.

“What is it?” Chris asked, looking over to Jonny.

“Hit and run results in death; Woman sentenced for 4 years.”

“Aw, that sucks,” he said, returning his attention to the bagel.

“Wait, there's more. It says the woman responsible was under the influence of heroin and cocaine as well.”

“Ugh, people these days make me si-”

“31-year-old Rachel Edwards,” Jonny interrupted. Chris once again stopped what he was doing, and turned to Jonny.

“You're joking.”

“No, actually I didn't even know her last name until now.”

“Then how did you know it was her?”

“The age, the drugs... plus the fact that her picture's printed here,” Jonny said, pointing to a picture of a rather sick looking brunette.

“Wow... so, she's going to jail then?”

“Yeah, she's got five years.”

“I hope they get her,” Chris said angrily.

“Hope who gets her?”

“The... hardcore prison people or whatever. I hope they all corner her and take, like, sharpened spoons or something and-”

“Whoa, Chris. That's a tad extreme, don't you think?”

“Denial's first, right? Well, I've done that already, so now it's time for anger. I think that was after it.”

“I don't think it works that way. That's for, like, if you're dying or something.”

“Well, whatever. I'm still angry,” Chris said. He took a slab of cream cheese and proceeded to bitterly spread it on the bagel.

“You have a right to be angry. Look at it this way, though, she can't do anything to you now. Not for another five years, anyway.”

“Yeah, if she makes it out alive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment