Monday, April 12, 2010

Find A Penny

This morning on the sidewalk as I stepped out of my truck, I found there laying on the ground a token of good luck. I picked the thing up from its place and examined it with great care. Then suddenly a quite tall man came right out of nowhere. He ran into me with so much force that I was knocked down to my feet, but he helped me up so kindly and offered me a deal that was way sweet.

“If you promise not to be mad,” he said, “at me for causing your fall, then I can help you out, I think, if you'd like to have the best job of all.” I thought for a minute or so, not sure what to make of this. While I pondered, he held out his hand and said, “By the way, I'm Chris.”

“What is it you can do for me, Chris?” I asked with great curiosity.

He smiled and me and in return explained the nature of his generosity.

“You look like a man who could use a break, a star soon to be shone. You see, what I need right now is a man to place on the throne. That is to say, you'll be a king in a not-so-conventional way. Well, what I really mean is that we're lacking in a manager during the day. You seem like you'd be a great man to choose to supervise the workers in the store. They're very hard workers, mind, but our last man walked through the door. He said that it wasn't enough for him and no more hours would he commit, but I think you'd be right for the spot. So, what do you say, are you up for it?”

Imagine that, oh, what a strange thing to have happen in such a fashion! But I was in no shape to turn down this opportunity, and so I replied with compassion, “Oh yes, indeed, I am, good sir! And if it's not too much to ask, when will I be starting, then? Only, I've to finish another task, but once I'm finished with this job here, I'd be glad to work for you. And is it a little assumptive to say that my minimum wage days are through?”

“Of course they're done, my man, we only give our employees the best! Now, please just give your name and address, and I think I can handle the rest.”

“My name is Jonathan Buckland, and I live quite far from town, but if you give me a paper, then I'll write the address down.”

He handed me a clean, new sheet and a pen with which to write. I scribbled it down and gave it back and I felt my future would be bright.

So strange that encounter was that I couldn't believe it was real! I mean, the position of manager in any store is a big deal. To give it away to a man you met just for a minute or so is actually rather silly, as you should give it to someone you know. Someone who could be trustworthy, someone you know is not a slob. But hey, I can't really complain since now I have a job.

The things some luck can do for you are astounding in my mind. I'd like to think what would've happened if that penny I didn't find.

Would I have met the man called Chris? Would I have ever fell?
Sometimes you just have to wonder but no one can ever tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment